I don't get Twitter...

shadez

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
It's FREE text messaging and FREE MMS messaging.

isn't that included in our data plans?

and i was talking about people constantly letting the world know their every move, i could see its use for school and journalism and thats about it.

personally i don't see the need to do what facebook, myspace, are already doing as well as instant messengers. i just don't understand its point of existence.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Twitter is social networking. You can network (interact) with people who share similar interests as you, and meet tons of new people who also share similar interests.

For many, it has replaced instant messaging (think yahoo and AIM) and even online chat (think IRC). For others, it has replaced Facebook. And for still others, it has replaced all of them.

Personally, I've found an entire community of people who share many of my interests who live right in the same city, and we now get together once or twice a month for "tweetups." It has doubled my social activities!

DRTigerlilly

Sep 17, 2009
Visit site
i use it to track all my blogs....kind of how i wish rss worked, so i add the twitter accounts of the blogs i read as well as a few deal websites and then i get notified of new deals or articles.

From the point of social networking it serves no purpose to me.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'll tell ya one other thing - using a Twitter client makes a huge difference. If you simply refresh the web page multiple times, you'll never get it.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
lol, i actually had this coversation with somone over lunch yesterday. he's a dj for a local radio station and always tweets everything. i told him i didnt understand the concept or point of it. but i do like facebook, its easier for me, and allows me to post more interesting things i guess. but i think its all just preference. lol

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure how FB could allow you to post more interesting things. Either you're interesting, or you're not. The method doesn't much matter.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
I didn't mean that I wasn't interesting in general. Or that posts would have less meaning on Twitter. What j meant was on facebbok you have games, little quizzes stuff like that. Twitter is more limiting in what you can post at one time. It's like what was stated above, it's for quick SMS like entries. To me Facebook just offers more options in my posting.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Little games and quizzes are what keep me away from FB. They are also exactly what makes my nephews (4th and 6th grade) like it. Hrmmm....

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
Lol well I guess you really like Twitter then alli as it has apparantly struck a nerve with you. I was just stating that to me Facebook was a better option. I'm a little older than 4th and 6th grade.

shadez

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
alli, that indirect insult to cobra wasn't cool.

as for twitter, thats how you feel but it seems kinda pointless to consistently post your every move to?

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
From what I've seen, more people are posting their every move to FB than Twitter. Twitter is more conversational, where FB is more status oriented.

But again, it's really a personal preference.

And it wasn't an insult, more a barb.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
i'm gonna have to agree with the OP here, Twitter has got to be one of the most useless things that somebody can be involved with.
i feel a certain rage develop inside me when people just at random say
"follow me on Twitter"
i mean is your life so boring that you need complete strangers knowing that you are on your way to the grocery store or whatever meaningless activity that you are about to embark on???
unbelievable.

Juice

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
i'm gonna have to agree with the OP here, Twitter has got to be one of the most useless things that somebody can be involved with.
i feel a certain rage develop inside me when people just at random say
"follow me on Twitter"
i mean is your life so boring that you need complete strangers knowing that you are on your way to the grocery store or whatever meaningless activity that you are about to embark on???
unbelievable.

saw your point, honestly feel same way.

I need to cure my Facebook addiction before getting into another addicting Twitting

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I personally find all these social networking programs to be a slow start to the decline of human interaction in many ways. I learned how to socialize with my friends from childhood by watching my parents. Pick up the phone, call, walk next door, whatever and get things done face to face. While that is still done today, it's not as prevelant in today's youth. As they get older and start having their own kids, those little tax credits will learn from watching their parents interact, which in many cases is done through phones and computers. This is also showing up in school papers where kids are writing papers like they write text messages.

I also found it alarming how some trapper keepers these days contain all the abbreviations for text message lingo and other related things. Also, facebook has been having some issues these days with spotty connectivity and some people are threatening to sue because they can't access their pages?!?!?!?! What is that about? Are you so involved on that site that you can't live your life without it? While technology is great in many ways, it is also destructive to human nature. My kids are not allowed to have Twitter, MySpace or Facebook accounts, have only 3 days a week they can play games for about 1 hour each day. I like how my kids actually decide to do something like read, write, draw or mentally stimulate themselves instead of having their heads buried in a phone all nightmare long.

/rant over :D

shadez

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
I personally find all these social networking programs to be a slow start to the decline of human interaction in many ways. I learned how to socialize with my friends from childhood by watching my parents. Pick up the phone, call, walk next door, whatever and get things done face to face. While that is still done today, it's not as prevelant in today's youth. As they get older and start having their own kids, those little tax credits will learn from watching their parents interact, which in many cases is done through phones and computers. This is also showing up in school papers where kids are writing papers like they write text messages.

I also found it alarming how some trapper keepers these days contain all the abbreviations for text message lingo and other related things. Also, facebook has been having some issues these days with spotty connectivity and some people are threatening to sue because they can't access their pages?!?!?!?! What is that about? Are you so involved on that site that you can't live your life without it? While technology is great in many ways, it is also destructive to human nature. My kids are not allowed to have Twitter, MySpace or Facebook accounts, have only 3 days a week they can play games for about 1 hour each day. I like how my kids actually decide to do something like read, write, draw or mentally stimulate themselves instead of having their heads buried in a phone all nightmare long.

/rant over :D

i actually agree with you, i was riding the other day with my girl and we saw a few kids riding their bikes and she say wow, now you don't see that anymore.

when i was a kid we actually played and physically interacted with one another but today its all done online. i know a few people that can type better than they can write...

in some ways technology is crippling us!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox