How To: Push Twitter Timelines To Your iPhone Using Prowl

iSkythe

May 12, 2009
Visit site
For a while we've been able to push DMs and @mentions from Twitter to an iPhone using Apple's PNS. Now, I will take it one step farther.

1. Download and install Growl for Mac.

2. Download and install RSS Menu.

3. Navigate to the Twitter page you want (eg. iSkythe on Twitter) and on the right sidebar there should be a link saying "RSS feed of [username]'s updates". Click the link, then copy the URL.

4. Click on the RSS rectangle in the tool bar at the top of your Mac's screen, and click "Preferences".

5. Click "Feeds" then click the Gear button in the bottom-left, and click "New Feed".

6. Paste the URL into the URL line, name it whatever you want, and choose how often you want it to check the timeline.

7. Register for a Prowl account.

8. Install the Prowl plug-in for Growl from their website.

9. Open "System Preferences" and Click "Growl" under "Other".

10. Click on ?Display Options? and select the Prowl style from the left and from the scroll down menu. Enter your username/password you used to register a Prowl account, then click Verify to check. You can also configure Prowl to only send notifications to your iPhone after your computer goes idle.

11. Click on ?Applications? while in the Growl settings. You should see a list of apps. Find RSS URL and click ?Configure?.

12. Change "Application's Display Style" to "Prowl".

13. Click "Notifications" and choose "Feed Received New Articles" under "Notification:".

14. Change "Display Style" to Prowl.

15. Download [URL="http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=320876271&mt=8&at=10l3Vy]Prowl[/URL] for iPhone.

16. Open the app and put in your Username and Password for your Prowl account.

17. Allow it to send you Push Notifications, and you're done!

Now you can receive Tweets from any person(s) you want, and it'll arrive within 5 minutes if you set the check time for 5 minutes!

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Thats quite alot to do, for a simple task. Great breakdwon though! Glad it works for you. @ replies and DM's are fine with me. Hopefully something easier will eb available for you later down the road.

Good job!

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
Prowl seems like a nifty app, it is. I bought it. It works great for what it is supposed to do, but if you're not a power user, or already have other push apps, it probably won't make much sense to you.

But still, nice breakdown on this. :)

nm1k0

Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Good little write up. Goin to send it over to a friend I was having trouble explaining to him how to set it up. Thanks.

iSkythe

May 12, 2009
Visit site
It actually isn't that long, because if you already had growl and prowl set up, that's 8 steps done. One problem though is that it sends you 2 notifications, one saying there is a new message, and the other with the message, and I'll try to figure that out.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner