Trying to have an open mind about Twitter.

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
I've always thought Twitter was stupid.
I didn't see the appeal of reading what someone ate for breakfast.

Then recently, I read how my presumptions about Twitter may have been true to a small degree in its infancy, but no more.
It's used by millions of people around the world.
Also by countless news outlets, media companies, stores, NGOs...
There is more substance to it now.

So, I thought I'd give it a try with an open mind.
Still new to it, so I find it slightly confusing.

What's the purpose of hash tags?

Is the purpose of tweeting to put your thoughts/opinions on the Internet like a solitary iceberg floating in the ocean, or to engage in discussion with others?
If yes to discussion, how exactly do you do that?

Is the best way to find interesting content by exploring recommendations, trial and error?

Any explanations or suggestions imore community?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
hashtags gives you the opportunity to read tweets that may be of similar interest. For example, if a lot of people are watching a NCAA final four game and posting their take on it, they may tweet their thoughts with the #NCAA and/or #FinalFour hashtag. If you're interested, you can select or search that specific hashtag and read like-minded tweets. Also, in my opinion, it is one of the best ways to find interesting tweets. I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Yep, you're right. It's not about breakfast photos anymore. It's a real-time, connected network where you can get pretty much any type of interaction or content you desire. It's all about following the right people, brands, sports sources, or news sources. You'll get a personalized timeline based ok who or what you follow. Play around, search and follow your interests, and let us know what you think.

I'm Jclisenby if you want to follow someone that has Apple and other varies interests. Let us know your username so we can check you out.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

LazyStarGazer

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
hashtags gives you the opportunity to read tweets that may be of similar interest. For example, if a lot of people are watching a NCAA final four game and posting their take on it, they may tweet their thoughts with the #NCAA and/or #FinalFour hashtag. If you're interested, you can select or search that specific hashtag and read like-minded tweets. Also, in my opinion, it is one of the best ways to find interesting tweets. I hope that made sense.

Thanks. I'll keep that in mind the next time I go exploring for content.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind the next time I go exploring for content.

You're very welcome. :) I have 2 Twitter accounts; one for tech stuff that I rarely check and the other for politically stuff which I check fairly often. Just know that you can also create specific lists. For instance, I have a list specifically for news & weather and one for the people whose tweets I enjoy reading most. I used to have a list of tweets from a few specific columnists and talk radio personalities. My point is this, find your niche and then make Twitter work for you....Take care and enjoy your day...:)

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I've found that for local and international news, I get it on Twitter before my tv shows are even interrupted for special reports. I always keep Twitter open.

TurboTiger

Nov 27, 2003
Visit site
I use Twitter for investment purposes.
I get notifications each time the people I follow Tweet something.
I only follow about 15 people. They are all professional investment individuals.
I must say, that about 80% of what they Tweet is about investments.
So for me, Twitter has been a great resource.

Good Luck

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I've found that for local and international news, I get it on Twitter before my tv shows are even interrupted for special reports. I always keep Twitter open.

Isn't that the truth? Heck, when law enforcement officials were tracking the ex-cop not long ago, there was a guy (firefighter, if I remember correctly) who was tweeting every little detail, most of which was never reported by the mainstream media, and the things that were, we were already aware of it.

Rockdog97

Oct 14, 2011
Visit site
I had a similar incident here in West Sacramento when the power went out in the entire neighborhood early one morning. I couldn't find anything about it on the local PG&E or SMUD web sites, so I sent a tweet to the City Major, Christopher Cabaldon, (who I follow on Twitter) asking what he know about the outage and he replied within 15 minutes with an answer! how cool was that?

I too have lists set up so I can quickly see and read through information - I like lists... good way to manage who you follow...

bgl321

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
To the avid twitter users: do recommend the twitter app, tweetbot, or something else... Especially for managing lists?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
To the avid twitter users: do recommend the twitter app, tweetbot, or something else... Especially for managing lists?

Over on the iMore blog side of things there are lots of comparative reviews various twitter apps... I'm a casual/light Twitter user - and the web page and Twitter's "native" apps work fine for me.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site

Tweetbot by far. It has more features and uses than any other Twitter app for iOS. The only thing that comes close is the Native iOS app from Twitter.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
So a rundown, Twitter is my news source, from actors to musicians, bands to TV networks, political to technology to websites and bloggers. I rarely post anything myself unless asking a question, the Mobile Nations crew is great and replying back to questions.

As far as apps go, I've used the native app, I've used echofon and I've used Twitterific. I love Twitterific now especially with push notifications so I was able to completely sever my tie with the native app.

Blazin' tappity tap tap 2 you!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
So a rundown, Twitter is my news source, from actors to musicians, bands to TV networks, political to technology to websites and bloggers. I rarely post anything myself unless asking a question, the Mobile Nations crew is great and replying back to questions.

Exactly that!

As far as apps go, I've used the native app, I've used echofon and I've used Twitterific. I love Twitterific now especially with push notifications so I was able to completely sever my tie with the native app.

I haven't tried Twitterific since version 2 or so. Maybe now that they have push, it's worth looking back at it.

BLiNK

Oct 7, 2009
Visit site
I haven't tried Twitterific since version 2 or so. Maybe now that they have push, it's worth looking back at it.

according to the app details the push feature is in beta and only 1000 users will use it

can anyone confirm if that is still the situation?

metllicamilitia

Ambassador
Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
according to the app details the push feature is in beta and only 1000 users will use it

can anyone confirm if that is still the situation?

I can't, but they did tweet a few days ago to try it again if you hadn't been able to use it yet and I am now happily having push notifications.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen