Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By congressdj
  • 1 Post By vikesrock28
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    For the past month, and seemingly out of the blue, my Facebook for iOS app had been crashing every time I click on a comment in my feed. The weird thing is, the problem follows me (and me only) from iOS device to device. In other words, when I'm logged in, the problem exists. When someone else logs on from the same device, Facebook works just fine.

    I made a video of the issue here:

    Since this happens on every iOS device I use, removing the app and reinstalling the app have no effect. Before I determined the problem followed me, I even did a clean install of the OS. Of course it didn't work. To be clear, this problem is unique to the app. The mobile web version and full web version work fine.

    Naturally, this leads me to believe the problem is on Facebook's end. Perhaps a glitch associated with my account on their servers? I've left a hundred bug reports, emailed Facebook, even called them (left a message). I'm sure out of their billion customers, they'll be all over this.

    On the Facebook side of things, I've changed my Facebook password, gone through and deleted all of my FB apps, removed authorized devices, checked login history, gone through the "I've been hacked" process (even though I've never been hacked). I even deleted my account and reopened it 24 hours later. Problem persisted (however, just for giggles I created an alias account to see if it worked fine. It did, of course).

    So I'm here. At the mercy of the forums. Please tell me one of you knows someone at Facebook! Tell me something I've not researched or tried. I'm desperate!

    And yes, I realized I've just described the biggest first world problem. Ever.

    Thank you!

    Dan

    iOS version 6.1.2 and Facebook version 5.4 and 5.5.
    Last edited by congressdj; 03-13-2013 at 09:49 AM.
    Thanked by:
    noaim (03-18-2013)
    noaim likes this.
  2. #2  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    21,914 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,148 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    When you say you did a "clean install" of the OS, are you saying that you connected your device to a computer and used iTunes to "restore as new"? If you reset your device and restored from a backup then you can expect the problem to persist. Is your device jailbroken? Did you go through every setting/option on both the Facebook website and on your device? If not, do so, just in case.
  3. #3  
    Rene Ritchie's Avatar
    iMore Actual

    Posts
    1,811 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,373 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Here's what I'd try first:

    Log into Facebook with a different account. Either get a relative/friend to log in with their again, or create a second dummy account. (Alternatively, you can log into a friend's Facebook app using your account and see if it works.)

    If a different account works, it's likely something the app is pulling from your account that's causing the crash. Maybe junk in your feed.
  4. #4  
    tommyreyes's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    How much free space do you have on your iPhone? Also is your Multitasking bar cleared each time it crashes?
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by JustMe'D View Post
    When you say you did a "clean install" of the OS, are you saying that you connected your device to a computer and used iTunes to "restore as new"? If you reset your device and restored from a backup then you can expect the problem to persist. Is your device jailbroken? Did you go through every setting/option on both the Facebook website and on your device? If not, do so, just in case.
    I did a fresh install, with no other settings or apps other than Facebook - as if I bought a new phone. But as I said, the problem follows me from device to device, whether it belongs to me or not. Also, when my wife logs onto my same phone using HER account, the app does not crash.
    Last edited by congressdj; 03-13-2013 at 09:53 AM.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Rene Ritchie View Post
    Here's what I'd try first:

    Log into Facebook with a different account. Either get a relative/friend to log in with their again, or create a second dummy account. (Alternatively, you can log into a friend's Facebook app using your account and see if it works.)

    If a different account works, it's likely something the app is pulling from your account that's causing the crash. Maybe junk in your feed.
    Thanks, Rene. I tried all of that. My wife can log into my Facebook app and have no problems. And my dummy account works flawlessly.

    Your theory about a problem with junk in my feed is a good one. And I thought that might be the issue. But it's persisted for over a month, now, and I have a very active feed. Plus, I can view the feed just fine. It's only when I click into a picture or a comment that it crashes.

    Does anyone know someone at Facebook that can perform a feed refresh or something... anything?!
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyreyes View Post
    How much free space do you have on your iPhone? Also is your Multitasking bar cleared each time it crashes?
    It doesn't matter, because as I mentioned, it crashes on ANY iOS device that I use. The problem follows me, and me alone. Yet, others can log in and use the app on my phone without a problem.
  8. #8  
    vikesrock28's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    3 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Guess what guys? IT WORKS ON EVERY DEVICE. Space, restoring etc is NOT GONNA MATTER.
    congressdj likes this.
  9. #9  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,877 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,879 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Are you jailbroken? Are you using IAPFree?
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  10. Thread AuthorThread Author   #10  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Are you jailbroken? Are you using IAPFree?
    Nope.
  11. #11  
    JustMe'D's Avatar

    Posts
    21,914 Posts
    Global Posts
    22,148 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Since the problem is not specific to the iPhone 5, this thread was moved to the Facebook, Twitter, Google + & Social thread.
  12. #12  
    tommyreyes's Avatar
    iMore Nanite

    Posts
    7 Posts
    iOS Version
    5.1

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by congressdj View Post
    It doesn't matter, because as I mentioned, it crashes on ANY iOS device that I use. The problem follows me, and me alone. Yet, others can log in and use the app on my phone without a problem.
    Honestly that's insane. I know it sounds pointless, but have you ever emailed Facebook Support about this?
  13. #13  
    Chase Isley's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    If your wife can login on the same app right on your phone without problem and you can't, there is definitely a problem with your facebook account. I would contact them through the options given on their site here. Contact Facebook and Facebook Support | Facebook Help Center | Facebook
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by tommyreyes View Post
    Honestly that's insane. I know it sounds pointless, but have you ever emailed Facebook Support about this?
    Yes, but it's been utterly futile. I've sent them at least 100 messages- from bug reports, to direct emails, to leaving them a voicemail at corporate. I'm praying that someone on this thread knows someone at the company that can help.
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Isley View Post
    If your wife can login on the same app right on your phone without problem and you can't, there is definitely a problem with your facebook account. I would contact them through the options given on their site here. Contact Facebook and Facebook Support | Facebook Help Center | Facebook
    I have. Close to 100 times. You get a form letter back. Not once has anyone at the company personally acknowledged my problem. And out of a billion users, I don't expect them to. And thus is the source of my madness...
  16. #16  
    Chase Isley's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Yikes. I know if you called Apple they would just send you to facebook support. hmmm. Maybe try deactivating the account and reactivating it... I don't really know what else you could do on this one.
  17. #17  
    Ed7789's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    90 Posts
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.1.1

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Wild guess: Have you tried logging into Facebook via iOS Settings app before using the app? If it's the case, maybe log into Facebook first through the app and then via the iOS settings.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Ed7789
  18. #18  
    alicepattinson's Avatar
    iMore Intermediate

    Posts
    140 Posts
    Global Posts
    415 Global Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by vikesrock28 View Post
    Guess what guys? IT WORKS ON EVERY DEVICE. Space, restoring etc is NOT GONNA MATTER.
    That's really weird. Every device? tsk!
  19. Thread AuthorThread Author   #19  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Ed7789 View Post
    Wild guess: Have you tried logging into Facebook via iOS Settings app before using the app? If it's the case, maybe log into Facebook first through the app and then via the iOS settings.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Yeah. Tried it. Backwards and forwards. I'm at my wits end.
  20. Thread AuthorThread Author   #20  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Quote Originally Posted by Chase Isley View Post
    Yikes. I know if you called Apple they would just send you to facebook support. hmmm. Maybe try deactivating the account and reactivating it... I don't really know what else you could do on this one.
    I actually tried this. No avail. Left it inactivated for 24 hours, too. Nothing.
  21. Thread AuthorThread Author   #21  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    What I really need is someone with a REAL connection to Facebook. I need to speak with an account tech there.
  22. #22  
    Chase Isley's Avatar
    iPhone Beginner

    Posts
    51 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Man this is a total bummer. If I find out any info I'll definitely let you know.
  23. #23  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Try changing the email address associated with your account ?

    See what happens and then change it back

    Also a for sure fix but would be a pain is just make a new Facebook add your old one as a friend and then go to your original account and add there friends as yours before deleting your old account


    Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  24. Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  
    congressdj's Avatar
    iMore Newbie

    Posts
    18 Posts

    Default Re: Unique iOS Facebook Problem

    Amazing. Today's update to 5.6 succeeded where the two previous Facebook updates had failed. My problem, after nearly 2 months, seems to have been resolved!!

    We'll see if it lasts... But thus hour, I proclaim: hallelujah!!!

Similar Threads

  1. Facebook Problems
    By robertwo in forum Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Social
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
  2. turn off iOS Facebook Chat?
    By devonair in forum Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Social
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-25-2011, 11:07 PM
  3. Facebook problem
    By Jvandyke13 in forum Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Social
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM
  4. Facebook problems, please help
    By mac_addict in forum Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Social
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-14-2011, 10:20 PM
  5. Facebook Problem
    By rcasinjr in forum Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Social
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-15-2009, 01:31 AM

Posting Permissions