Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

Default Twitter followers?

So I was listening to the recent podcast and decided what could it hurt and signed up for twitter. Before I was done signing up I had multiple random people following me and emails from twitter to approve them. I just want to follow TiPb and a few other interests.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a way to be invisible on twitter but still follow others? I think I'm set to private but on the other hand, these would be followers did find me?

Just looking for some advice, feel free to delete this thread if need be.
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Unfortunately I don't think there's a way to go invisible~ on twitter so to speak. The only option is to have your tweets locked. Even then, you're right, random people follow/request to follow you no matter what you do. I had 8 or so bot type twitters trying to follow me within an hour of being locked.
    Twitter & Instagram = @billiber
    Thanked by:
    sherlock (12-16-2011)
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,158 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You can follow other and just not tweet
    Thanked by:
    sherlock (12-16-2011)
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

You once could do it. Here's a link - see if it still works.
    Thanked by:
    sherlock (12-16-2011)
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I thought this way when I made my twitter account, but after messing with it for a while, I decided to keep it.
    Thanked by:
    sherlock (12-16-2011)
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iMore Guru

iOS Version

It looks like Alli's suggestion would work but it would mean a lot of text messages would come in. Since I already signed up I'll just follow my interests and lay low. Locking and turning off email notification for follow requests has toned things down. Hopefully all the inappropriate follow requests will stop eventually.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    804 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sherlock View Post
    It looks like Alli's suggestion would work but it would mean a lot of text messages would come in. Since I already signed up I'll just follow my interests and lay low. Locking and turning off email notification for follow requests has toned things down. Hopefully all the inappropriate follow requests will stop eventually.
    They won't unfortunately. I still get a spam account following me once or twice a week.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Yea, the spam accounts are an inevitable evil. But there are far fewer that get through now than a year or so ago. I wish we could see an end to the Twitter bots that automatically @ you whenever you use their trigger words like iPad, iPhone, or Christmas.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I say keep it simple, turn on "Protect my tweets". I like that feature...
    iPhone Beginner

iOS Version

I was just on Google Reader and typed in tipb/twitter/rss and their different feeds show up. It looks like you can subscribe that way and not be a user.
    It is what it is - - Abundance : Wireless : Romantic