Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Facebook Video Playback

(I searched the site and did not see an existing thread.)
    It's great that we can post video directly to Facebook but we are still unable to watch the video on the iPhone. There's still that pop up that says that Facebook Video is not yet compatible with iPhones and iPod Touches... but they are working on it.
    I don't think we can blame AT&T or Apple for this. Sounds more like a FB issue.
    Has anyone heard/read anything about when there may be a fix?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

They are working on it, and yes it is a facebook issue. There has been no timeline laid out for it though.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com &
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 6 64GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

you're saying "Facebook" in terms of a large org.

You need to think more in terms of Joe, the single developer at Facebook who works on the app. So even if facebook gets the video side changes done you still have the app to change.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,470 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I think the videos were they to be converted ( lets say tomorrow ) would open in the youtube application ( or a in process version of it inside the facebook application ), and while there would have to be change to the facebook application, I think the bigger problem for them is getting all the videos in a format that devices like the iPhone can play. The facebook app already plays back videos that link directly to youtube from within the app, they'd be doing something similar to that ( is my guess >.> )
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com &
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 6 64GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    3,568 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Joe writes the app but Facebook is hosting the content, ie videos. It's up to them to get them iPhone ready.

I'm pretty sure they are working on it from both ends. My guess is when the new Facebook 3.1 comes out it will have push and facebook video working.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]