Anyone else been stung on import taxes or something similar?

Richard Devine

iMore staff
Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
It's not as though I'm trying to get out of paying (I'm sure we all would if we could!) but it's a PITA that I have to pay DHL myself the duty on my Pebble coming in to the UK. Since it's been sent out of Hong Kong, I can imagine that I'm not the only person in the only country who's had to do this, and in my case it's ended up causing delays in receiving my package due to when I received the notice. Happening to other folks in other countries?

Since Pebble seems to be growing, and I'm sure they're hoping it continues, is this not something you think they should be sorting out their end before shipping? Like so many other companies do?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You're seeing first hand that there are taxes, fees, etc. on things you buy that are normally hidden in the total cost of the product and not broken down so as you'll notice... it would actually be nice if one could see the costs of all those things companies have to pay to deliver things...

Chris Parsons

Oct 30, 2007
Visit site
It's not as though I'm trying to get out of paying (I'm sure we all would if we could!) but it's a PITA that I have to pay DHL myself the duty on my Pebble coming in to the UK. Since it's been sent out of Hong Kong, I can imagine that I'm not the only person in the only country who's had to do this, and in my case it's ended up causing delays in receiving my package due to when I received the notice. Happening to other folks in other countries?

Since Pebble seems to be growing, and I'm sure they're hoping it continues, is this not something you think they should be sorting out their end before shipping? Like so many other companies do?

Happens to me all the time with stuff coming in from the U.S. while it's not a problem with stuff I get sent to me from friends, it's always an issue with stuff I order from companies. Heck, even some of the accessories I get sent to me for review on Mobile Nations sites I get dinged for, often times more than what the accessories cost.