apple time capsule and other PC's

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
So, with a 2nd gen time capsule, i have a few questions...

1. can my wife use her PC and blackberry playbook wirelessly like any other normal wireless router?
2. can she access the info on the hard drive through non apple devices?
3. is set up similar to a regular modem?
4. can i run the desktop PC via ethernet cable? sorry for so many questions!

Rob

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
So, with a 2nd gen time capsule, i have a few questions...

1. can my wife use her PC and blackberry playbook wirelessly like any other normal wireless router?
Yes
2. can she access the info on the hard drive through non apple devices?
As long as you have sharing enabled then she should be able to. If my Epson printer can connect to it wirelessly then so can your devices.
3. is set up similar to a regular modem?
Pretty much
4. can i run the desktop PC via ethernet cable? sorry for so many questions!

Rob

I don't see why you can't.

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Alright. I just read some people don't think It makes a good storage device besides back ups. As long as my wife's PC can use it and put files to and from it I'm happy.

pearlyrob

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
Just an update. Received my time capsule and set it up tonight. It was very easy. I also set up the network hard drive to use with my wife's PC and my macbook. Thanks

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Just an update. Received my time capsule and set it up tonight. It was very easy. I also set up the network hard drive to use with my wife's PC and my macbook. Thanks
You're very welcome, and thank you for the update. Take care and have a great weekend...:)

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Newbie question: I just ordered myself a re-furbished Airport Express. I already have an existing router in my home that works fine. Except it kind of sucks when it comes to getting signal to my Apple TV in my bedroom. Kinda have to keep moving the router around and so on. It's a hassle. The reason I got the Express was because from what I'm reading it should serve as a middle man. I don't want to get rid of my linksys router. I want to wirelessly connect the Express to the linksys and then connect the apple tv to the Express since the Express would be much closer to my bedroom. I can connect the Express to my linksys wirelessly, right? Doesn't have to stay connected with an ethernet, correct?

Figured I'd ask before I receive it anyway.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
You should be able to extend your existing wireless network with the express.

Was able to extend the wireless network. Unfortunately the Express has to have an ethernet connection to the existing router. I was hoping to place the Express in a room between the router and my Apple TV without needing an ethernet connection. Even tried to do it through the DNS settings of the Linksys router and just not possible. Plus, from what I've read, the speeds coming out of the Express would basically be cut in half if I did it that way.

BreakingKayfabe

Sep 12, 2008
Visit site
Sorry. Since you don't have an Ethernet connection where you want to put the Express, maybe you could try a power line Ethernet adapter? Never used one myself, but I think it would hook I to your existing router and then where you want to put the Express you'd plug the adapter into an outlet and get an Ethernet jack to plug the Express into.

Yeah. I came across seeing that option while I was searching around Google. I may try that and hope the speeds coming from the Express aren't signifcantly slowed down. In the meanwhile I actually have the Express installed via ethernet and am streaming on the ATV connected to it. I haven't had any problems as of yet. We'll hope it stays that way. Handy little peripheral to have.