AirPort Extreme and Verizon Fios

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone out there use the Extreme with Fios (triple play)?

How easy is it to replace the router they gave us five years ago and replace it with the Extreme?

We have a 1500 sq ft house with an assortment of televisions, PC computers, Hp network and wireless printers and Apple iPads. Any potential problems with this variety of equipment?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
No need to replace the FIOS router - just use the AirPort in addition to the FIOS device. They can coexist.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Plug it into your FIOS device as you would a computer via ethernet, and set up the Airport in bridge mode.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Appreciate your help, but this is not my field of expertise.

Can you elaborate on Bridge mode?

Also, if I am still hooked into the old router, how does the Extreme benefit me? My current wifi speed is slow even though I pay for a faster level. Currently, when we have a power outage, our computers and printers have to be reset to reconnect to wifi - a big hassle.

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If you are paying for fast wifi and you get slow wifi that means one of two things. Either it's caused by many devices connected at once or Verizon is giving you slow wifi. I would call them to get this situation with the wifi speed resolved.

cyberpaw

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
We have called Verizon techs and they tell u we need to be hard wired to get the faster speed, even though we have a wireless router.

I thought is we got a higher capacity wireless router, like the Extreme, we would get faster wifi.