Airport Extreme or Something Else?

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hello. My current router is old and I want to replace it. But I don't know which one to get. My top two choices are the Extreme and the Netgear R6300. I don't know which is better overall. If anyone has either one of these routers, or both, can you let me know? Because I want to buy the #1 router. If anyone has a router that is, or they think is, better than these two, can you also let me know so I can add that to my top choices?

And also, the router will be placed in a garage room, where transmitting its connection to devices, will be passing through walls. So I need a router that has good range and can transmit its connection easily, while maintaining high speeds.

Please help. Thanks.

Exsurgo

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the AirPort Extreme. It replaced an old school Linksys router. I have had nothing but good luck with it and it works flawless. If you have other Apple products, there is an app to monitor the Extreme as well. Very handy.

I'm sorry I'm not familiar with the other router you mentioned, but you can't go wrong with the AirPort Extreme.

Good luck!!

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Hello. My current router is old and I want to replace it. But I don't know which one to get. My top two choices are the Extreme and the Netgear R6300. I don't know which is better overall. If anyone has either one of these routers, or both, can you let me know? Because I want to buy the #1 router. If anyone has a router that is, or they think is, better than these two, can you also let me know so I can add that to my top choices?

And also, the router will be placed in a garage room, where transmitting its connection to devices, will be passing through walls. So I need a router that has good range and can transmit its connection easily, while maintaining high speeds.

Please help. Thanks.

I’ve not used anything except the Apple routers for several years now. Historically, I was lucky to get more than 6-8 months out of a router before something went wonky and they crapped out. I had used models from all of the major companies over the years with the same short lifespan. I picked up an Airport Extreme about two and a half years ago, and have had good luck with it. I added a TimeCapsule and an Airport Express over the ensuing timespan to extend coverage and add functionality.

I suspect that anything you are considering is dual band... and I have found the Apple routers to be great on both the 5ghz and 2.4ghz bands... no problems to report...

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Def extreme if u want range and speed .. I live in a smaller place so I went with express but I used to always have linksys I can't say they are bad but eventually they give out. They couldn't handle all my I devices. Once I went to Apple everything is flawless I have had to restart it once in the last 8 months but I blame that mostly on my uverse box.

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

unstoppablekem

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'd say you want the router that works best for the devices you connect to it and the materials, distance, and size of your home. Having the #1 router should be immaterial. That being said, you are asking in an Apple-centric forum where you're not likely to get a large breadth of experience with other brands of routers especially when you have a specific model in mind. Try something like dslreports.com which unlike the name implies should have reviews and info on many types of routers.

I'm sorry, but I can't stand that website, the interface is just horrible and not fun to use. Lol.

zulu30

Oct 23, 2013
Visit site
I'll start by saying I hate sounding like an Apple fanboy. That being said, I replaced my Netgear N300 with a 4th Gen Airport Extreme about a year ago. This is the 3rd router I've had in 5 years. I've totally forgotten I even own a router now. Never drops, overheats, interrupts/restarts, flow through pegs at 30 Mbs on the 5ghz band (my carrier's max) everywhere in the house and halfway outside in the yard. It's exactly what I'm looking for in a router. Something that requires nothing from me to work transparently.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nijolcreative