Are Mac Peripherals Essential To Buy When You Buy A Mac?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Shopping myself over the weekend for a possible purchase of a MBP I was hit with this extra add on and that extra add on and wonder if or what I really need and what I don't? What is everyone else's opinion?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
A Time Capsule is nice to have but you can use any other drive to do a Time Machine backup.
I never could seem to make any 'network attached storage' work for TimeMachine... if an external drive was connected USB - it worked fine for TimeMachine... the TimeCapsule was worth it's $$ to me for ease of use on TimeMachine... everything else about it is a bonus.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Shopping myself over the weekend for a possible purchase of a MBP I was hit with this extra add on and that extra add on and wonder if or what I really need and what I don't? What is everyone else's opinion?

There is not really any of it that you necessarily must have. A good router will run WiFi just fine to your Mac. Any external can be formatted to do Time Machine backups. If the machine you're Getting doesn't have a DVD drive installed, you may want to go ahead and spring for that when you purchase one, so all of your CDs and DVDs that you already have will be able to work with the machine.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
There is not really any of it that you necessarily must have. A good router will run WiFi just fine to your Mac. Any external can be formatted to do Time Machine backups. If the machine you're Getting doesn't have a DVD drive installed, you may want to go ahead and spring for that when you purchase one, so all of your CDs and DVDs that you already have will be able to work with the machine.

As far as a router goes I have always used and preferred Netgear because they have never failed me. Right now I have a G but if I purchase a MBP I would upgrade my router to an N although my G is pretty fast now. The MBP 13" already has a built in DVD drive. It was suggested to me in order to save money on the Time Capsule that I can simply purchase for $70.00 bucks a WD Passpoert external USB HD for Mac. That would suit me just fine since I am opting for the larger HD in the Mac to begin with.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
As far as a router goes I have always used and preferred Netgear because they have never failed me. Right now I have a G but if I purchase a MBP I would upgrade my router to an N although my G is pretty fast now. The MBP 13" already has a built in DVD drive. It was suggested to me in order to save money on the Time Capsule that I can simply purchase for $70.00 bucks a WD Passpoert external USB HD for Mac. That would suit me just fine since I am opting for the larger HD in the Mac to begin with.

You are absolutely correct about the Time Machine drive. I have a 1 TB external that I do my backups on. It works well and it's so much cheaper.

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You don't need any of it.

A Time Capsule is nice to have but you can use any other drive to do a Time Machine backup.

Any wifi router should work fine.

If you want an external keyboard and mouse almost any will work even those designed for Windows.

Just about any USB or network printer will also be fine.
See this is my problem not knowing the ins and outs of Mac... Time Capsule i get but please explain to me to this simpleton...lol A Time Machine?

Jaguarr40

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Time Machine isn't hardware, it's the name for OSX builtin backup solution. If you have a Time Capsule, it can back up to there. You can also use Time Machine with any external hard drive or even a secondary internal hard drive. There are even various NAS solutions that are supposed to be able to be Time Machine backup enabled.
Got ya thank you as I have just been reading more about this on Apple looking at various accessories and the MacBook Pro. :)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site

Good point on the external CD/DVD drive...but there are as good/better models available and cheaper than the Apple drive. I picked up a blu-ray drive for about $30 online as opposed to the $70-80 Apple DVD drive.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gokox