Preferred Mac for programmers?

bparks115

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Is there a preferred Mac for programmers?

I have a late-2012 MBP Retina, it's a great computer, still works good, just looking to upgrade. Meanwhile, I'm sort of a programmer in training, I've been doing a lot of stuff with Xcode and making iOS apps. Is there a preferred computer for programmers? I really like the new slim MacBooks, but will it be enough to build apps on? Should I stick with the Pro?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
If you want laptop I would say MacBook Pro for sure! You might want to wait a few week to a couple months to see if newer models are announced/released with skylake chips, which SHOULD happens if not at the Sept 7th event, soon after. Here's a recent blog on the subject...

Best MacBook | iMore

oddysseey

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
I'm currently working on a mid-2012 retina MacBook Pro and couldn't be happier.
However, my next Mac will be a 27'' 5k iMac, since storyboards are a real pain on a 15'' screen.

But if you want a laptop, I'd go with a 15'' MacBook Pro. I don't think you could go wrong with that.

psamo

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
Is there a preferred Mac for programmers?

I have a late-2012 MBP Retina, it's a great computer, still works good, just looking to upgrade. Meanwhile, I'm sort of a programmer in training, I've been doing a lot of stuff with Xcode and making iOS apps. Is there a preferred computer for programmers? I really like the new slim MacBooks, but will it be enough to build apps on? Should I stick with the Pro?
I don't think Mac Book has enough performance for developing.You don't need graphic performance for developing but if it is a core i5 it will be ok which means you have to stick with a Mac Book Pro.

scastle123

Apr 1, 2016
Visit site
I've only just started learning iOS development, but I've been coding in c++ for years (strictly hobbyist and the odd utility for work though). I have found in general, you need three things to use a modern IDE (such as Visual Studio or Xcode). A fairly powerful CPU, as much RAM as you can and as high a resolution display as you can. You can code on a machine with none of those, but they do make things a bit easier.

That said, I've probably used my 13inch late 2015 MBP more for coding than the 27inch imac with 24 gig of RAM I have at work.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site
I'm just getting started in coding. Have a late 2013 15" rMBP w/dgraphics card. You said it was hard to do storyboards on a 15". What are storyboards? Sorry to ask but I'm kind of dumb in the coding area.

PutschMobi

Jan 25, 2017
Visit site
I have a late 2012 mac book air.
It is great to work when you travel but I think mac book pro will better fit your needs if you are travelling a lot.

wrldwzrd89

Jun 12, 2014
Visit site
It really depends on if portability is a factor. If not, the Retina iMac line is a great choice, and is what I use. Otherwise, the MacBook Pro wins easily.

crucial bbq

Sep 21, 2015
Visit site
You answered your own question: your 2012 rMBP is still good enough so by default anything newer would also be good. Is there a preferred model? I dunno, but I suspect that most app devs use a Pro model. The current Mac Book would be good enough but I would suggest going with the i5 and 16G of RAM.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR