Getting Started

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I have recently started to poke around in app development for the iphone. I just wanted to suggest a book that I have been reading/referring to.

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone

Amazon.com: Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone SDK: Dave Mark, Jeff LaMarche: Books

This book along with Apples excellent tutorials have really made life easier. If you are looking to develop apps or just want to understand the apps, this is a great start.

Anybody else have some suggestions about where to start?

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
very noobish question: I know the iPhone development platform is Objective C. Is Objective C based on C or C++? If neither, which of the 2 is closer to Objective C?

logicBomb

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Erika Sadun's book is good.

Objective C is based on C and Smalltalk. It improves on C with better memory management, more dynamic features than C, and a less annoying type system. I prefer it to C++, although C++ can be better for raw speed (assuming you can fit everything in cache).

rustcycle

Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
I have recently started to poke around in app development for the iphone. I just wanted to suggest a book that I have been reading/referring to.

Beginning iPhone Development: Exploring the iPhone

Agreed, this book covers some gaps in the Apple tutorials, IMHO. Some basic XCode and Obj-C reference helps, but a lot of the devils in the details I've stumbled upon at dev blogs, dev forums...

racfreelink

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
If you need Iphone SDK 4 and Xcode 3.2.2, please let me know. I will send link down load for you. I'm coder and hope can find a one to work together.

davejas

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The first book listed is very good!

The first book listed is excellent. I started with it too.
I really learned a lot from AppsAmuck and icodeblog
You have to Google them because I am new and can't post links yet.
They have lots of examples of source code so you can get in there and see
how things are done

neutrinos

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I want to put a plug in here for the Stanford course available in iTunes U. There are assignments and solutions which should help aid learning outside of following books.

gilroykilroy

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I want to put a plug in here for the Stanford course available in iTunes U. There are assignments and solutions which should help aid learning outside of following books.

I second this. Lynda.com (no affiliation) also offers an online iPhone course (paid.)

As for books, I find the one from BigNerdRanch (again no affiliation) to be very good (and is available as a Kindle ebook which I read on my iPad while next to my Mac doing the exercises.)

Last edited:

Cybox

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site

The Stanford iTUnes U course is fantastic for development. Which reminds me I need to pick up where I left off. Recommended if you can still get access to it.

superaj#IM

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
There are a ton of beginner videos you can watch if you just google around. My partner and I learned everything we know about developing apps by watching videos online and following tutorials.

sparkzilla

Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I also recommend GameSalad, which I used to create my game from scratch in about 5 weeks with very little programming. Their forum support is excellent.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2