Data using up more GB then in the past

theKHMERboy

May 12, 2013
Visit site
I don't know if anyone is noticing or it's just me.. I have been using a smartphone since the first blackberry pearl have been released and I got to say so much have changed.. My one main thing is the data usage of smartphones.. Back in the days when I had my first smartphone I use to have a 500mb plan and that would last me seeing that I would use under 500 per month.. As the years go by and seeing my usage now it is getting ridiculous how much plans are now and how much gb someone can consume in a month.. I can say I have a good plan giving me 6gb a month to use and I am not really a heavy user just use Facebook n Instagram here and there don't really post and I play games and surf the net when I need to.. But I don't understand how sometimes I can go over 6gb or get close cause I don't use wifi thinking I have more then enough. But now I don't think I have enough.. How come data usage is so much now? Anyone else agree? Let me know your thoughts please

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Streaming audio and video on your cellular connection and not wifi is probably the culprit... streaming a high def tv show that's about 45 minutes long is up to 1.5GB of data, and the LTE speeds make it possible...

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Streaming audio and video on your cellular connection and not wifi is probably the culprit... streaming a high def tv show that's about 45 minutes long is up to 1.5GB of data, and the LTE speeds make it possible...

Yeah they tease us with these speeds but we can't use them. I can't wait for the carriers to adjust their data infrastructure so mobile can be used as mobile again

Sent from my gameboy color

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
LTE does not use more data than 3G/4G connections did under the same scenarios...it just does it faster. Like others have said, with faster speeds comes more usage, thus your data plans get eaten up quicker. Unfortunately this was known to carriers, which is why as soon as LTE capable devices hit the market, they all jumped ship on normal, unlimited data plans because they knew there was a lot of money to be made.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Your useage has probably changed a little over time. If you used any of the old BBOS BlackBerries, you probably weren't doing much web browsing on them since the browsers were so horrible, nor were there much in the way of apps to suck down data. Also, any data you are using was going through the BIS, which compresses the data.

solitude1984

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Also, any data you are using was going through the BIS, which compresses the data.

You took the words right out of my mouth. :)

I find I use less data than I did even a year ago because so many places have wifi now. I share a 1 GB plan with my husband and we have never gone over. That being said, I also take care not to stream much while on data. No games that use data either (the "with friends" games for example) because those can suck up a lot!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
You took the words right out of my mouth. :)

I find I use less data than I did even a year ago because so many places have wifi now. I share a 1 GB plan with my husband and we have never gone over. That being said, I also take care not to stream much while on data. No games that use data either (the "with friends" games for example) because those can suck up a lot!

Sent from my iPhone 5s using Tapatalk

Wow share a 1gb plan. That's nuts! I can use that in 4 days if I try. Lol

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow. 6gb is Alot. I know I could go through that if I really wanted to. I hope they start doing things like they used to do with minutes. Free nights and weekends. Lol

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Well they're starting to treat data now like they used to treat minutes. Basing plans around data usage rather than minutes so I hope this happens at one point. Lol

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro