** Did anyone get their $36 upgrade fee waived from buying the iPhone 5S?

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I knew it was coming and when I received my bill (via email) from AT&T this morning, there it was- the $36 upgrade fee from purchasing the iPhone 5s from the Apple store. I tried searching the net for ways to see if there was any successful attempt in getting this fee removed or credited back to one's account; however, they all seemed dated or unsuccessful. Ever since AT&T implemented their Mobile Share data plans- no concessions were going to be made for the individual plans (since that plan doesn't have upgrade fees). I bit the bullet and called and asked. They explained that since I was on a corporate discount account, changes were made and this fee couldn't be removed. The associate did explain that she would see what she COULD do vs. what she COULD NOT do. She ended up crediting me $50 after taking a look at my payment history. (There were other prorated charges from when Apple mistakenly put me on a $65 corporate 5 GB plan-.) I pay early and ahead so I'm sure that helped in that decision. I just couldn't see paying a $136 cell phone bill. My bill is usually $87. Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?

Last edited:

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
My AT&T FAN account has all upgrade fees waived. I don’t believe that I have ever paid an upgrade fee since I joined AT&T back in 2001.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
My AT&T FAN account has all upgrade fees waived. I don’t believe that I have ever paid an upgrade fee since I joined AT&T back in 2001.

I was told by the AT&T associate that my company is at the bargaining table every year or two years, things can change instantly without employees being kept in the loop. :mad:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Never had an upgrade fee that wasn't waived with my Hospital FAN account.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using Tapatalk Pro.

Totalimmortal363

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
It's a story. AT&T employees make up stories all the time to not get docked for waiving upgrade fees. It gets noted on their account which will affect promotion status later.

I used to make up stories and fabricate lies to get out of it all the time too.

They have the power to waive it. They just don't want it to affect their profile

I was able to get my fee waived. But just like yours, in the form of a $40 credit towards the next bill

On a side note: all plans have upgrade fees.
Individual, family, mobile share plans. If you sign a 2-year contract, it gets the $36 upgrade fee.

There are however many companies that get the upgrade fee waived. But it only tells you at the time of upgrade. And it depends on the company also.

I have only encountered one customer in which their upgrade fee on the contract read: WAIVED. Rather than displaying $36

I'd appreciate you not telling people what us AT&T reps can and cannot do. A past work experience does not translate into what is and is not possible today. So keep that in mind going forward.

As it stands, AT&T does not waive upgrade fees at a store level. CARE has the ability to do so, but more often than not will not waive them.

As an aside, just because you lied/lie to your customers does not mean we all do.

bxnextel86

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Sprint did something better for me. They waived the iphone 5s for me and I got to keep my upgrade. So I got a free iphone 5s 32gb. And I got my upgrade fee waived that was 200. But I am stuck with the new line I added.

anon(279851)

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
Sprint did something better for me. They waived the iphone 5s for me and I got to keep my upgrade. So I got a free iphone 5s 32gb. And I got my upgrade fee waived that was 200. But I am stuck with the new line I added.

Yeah, but you're with Sprint though. And that's a catastrophy within itself.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2