Can I use old iPhone w/no cellular data plan on Verizon or AT&T?

ls ag

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Is it possible to use an old iPhone with no cellular data plan on Verizon or AT&T?

- get a sim card or cheapest regular cell phone from Verizon. Activate the phone

- put a block on cellular data plan on this line

- get old iPhone, disable mobile data on it, put the sim card into it and use it cellular data for voice and text only and WiFi for data connection

Will this work? If not, why?

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
re: Can I use old iPhone w/no cellular data plan on Verizon or AT&T?

I don't think so. The network should be able to detect that you are using an iPhone or other smartphone.

Laelipoo

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

I second D's thoughts. When I worked for the cell phone companies, they could definitely tell and would put data on regardless of the block. It's in the contract.

You could do it on Go Phone however.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

The only way that I know of to use an iPhone without a data plan on AT&T's network is either the $25 or $50 prepaid smartphone plan. Both of these plans do not require that you add a data plan on if you don't want to. I have both of my children using their iPhones on the $25 plan without a data plan. They simply use WiFi for data when needed.... Here is a link to the plans if you would like to check them out: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, GoPhone Plans, & Prepaid Smartphone plans from AT&T

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

I'm not sure about iPhones but my hubby currently uses a blackberry with only voice calls and text messaging. He has a month to month 'no contract' plan and it was his own blackberry. So he is basically using it as a dumb smartphone, he just put the sim card from his old cellphone into my old blackberry. Now if you get a brand new smartphone whether it's an iPhone or Blackberry or Android with a new 2 or 3 year contract YES they do require you to take the data and you can't cancel the data either. This is how it is at least here in Canada.

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

The only way that I know of to use an iPhone without a data plan on AT&T's network is either the $25 or $50 prepaid smartphone plan. Both of these plans do not require that you add a data plan on if you don't want to. I have both of my children using their iPhones on the $25 plan without a data plan. They simply use WiFi for data when needed.... Here is a link to the plans if you would like to check them out: Prepaid Cell Phone Plans, GoPhone Plans, & Prepaid Smartphone plans from AT&T

Yes I was also going to mention exactly what Irish Rose said here.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure about iPhones but my hubby currently uses a blackberry with only voice calls and text messaging. He has a month to month 'no contract' plan and it was his own blackberry. So he is basically using it as a dumb smartphone, he just put the sim card from his old cellphone into the blackberry. Now if you get a brand new smartphone whether it's an iPhone or Blackberry or Android with a new 2 or 3 year contract YES they do require you to take the data and you can't cancel the data either. This is how it is at least here in Canada.

Wendy, here in the US every smartphone on a Post Paid Plan including a Blackberry device requires a data plan, unfortunately.

wendybeee

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site

Wendy, here in the US every smartphone on a Post Paid Plan including a Blackberry device requires a data plan, unfortunately.

Yes it's the same here if you want a brand new smartphone, but like what you have your kids on, here with Rogers or Fido using your 'own' smartphone you can have a 'non contract' voice and text messaging plan only to be put on your device and you are not tied into a plan. They block the data.

Last edited:

ls ag

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks everyone for reply.

What's is then best solution to add phone line only with iPhone? I am looking for affordable option to get my two kids iPhones with no cellular data plan. I looked at prepaid At&T plan and they look expensive: $25 for 250 min. I can get unlimited plan including 500 MB of cellular data on MetroPCS for $70 for two lines.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone for reply.

What's is then best solution to add phone line only with iPhone? I am looking for affordable option to get my two kids iPhones with no cellular data plan. I looked at prepaid At&T plan and they look expensive: $25 for 250 min. I can get unlimited plan including 500 MB of cellular data on MetroPCS for $70 for two lines.
My kids do more texting than calling so the $25 plan was perfect for them with having unlimited texting on the plan. In my experience of looking into the same thing, most of the other PrePaid carriers all include a data plan which is something you said you don't want. If you want something cheaper that includes more minutes, you can look into T-Mobile $30/month, or Straight Talk $45/month. Both of those Prepaid carrier plans include data but are still cheaper than Post Paid.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Straight talk is another option you can get the SIM card via the web site

Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !

Goldswimmerb

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
With my iphone 3gs ive been using it for 9 months and ATT still hasnt added a Data plan. We had the Card blocked from using data Back in '09 so i think that could be a possible reason why i still dont get the data charge.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711