Via The iMore Blog: T-Mobile US raises down payment price of iPhone 5 to $149 very, very quietly

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
I've said it from the start, T-Mobile's attempt at "no contract" plans was just an easy way to make customers think there are no strings attached. You still have to have a contract if you want to keep your phone. With T-Mobile, the monthly service may be less but you'll end up paying more for the phone than just going with another carrier.

Tappin and Talkin from my iPhone 5

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I've said it from the start, T-Mobile's attempt at "no contract" plans was just an easy way to make customers think there are no strings attached. You still have to have a contract if you want to keep your phone. With T-Mobile, the monthly service may be less but you'll end up paying more for the phone than just going with another carrier.

Actually the phone is slightly cheaper from T-Mobile. $579 vs $649 from the Apple website. There is no interest on the equipment installment plan.

The total cost for a new iPhone and 24 month contract is $2960 with AT&T (this includes $199 for the phone).
With T-Mobile the total cost is $2260. So there is a $700 savings over the 2 year contract.

These savings are the reason I left AT&T and went to T-Mobile. I didn't have a contract with AT&T, but I saw no reason to stay with them once "true" 4G was available via T-Mobile. Plus I was tired of AT&T's customer service. I have to deal with them when supporting clients mobile accounts and they are subpar to say the least. I don't have an opinion yet with T-Mobile as I've not had to deal with customer service yet.

jclisenby

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
Actually the phone is slightly cheaper from T-Mobile. $579 vs $649 from the Apple website. There is no interest on the equipment installment plan.

The total cost for a new iPhone and 24 month contract is $2960 with AT&T (this includes $199 for the phone).
With T-Mobile the total cost is $2260. So there is a $700 savings over the 2 year contract.

These savings are the reason I left AT&T and went to T-Mobile. I didn't have a contract with AT&T, but I saw no reason to stay with them once "true" 4G was available via T-Mobile. Plus I was tired of AT&T's customer service. I have to deal with them when supporting clients mobile accounts and they are subpar to say the least. I don't have an opinion yet with T-Mobile as I've not had to deal with customer service yet.

I agree that the total cost of ownership is cheaper, but there are trade offs. The customer service at T-Mobile is not nearly what it is at Verizon or AT&T. Also, the wireless coverage and availability of 4G LTE is a trade off that one must consider about T-Mobile. It really comes down to getting what you pay for, just like with most things in life.

Dryland

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the total cost of ownership is cheaper, but there are trade offs. The customer service at T-Mobile is not nearly what it is at Verizon or AT&T. Also, the wireless coverage and availability of 4G LTE is a trade off that one must consider about T-Mobile. It really comes down to getting what you pay for, just like with most things in life.

Yes the coverage is hit or miss on Tmo. I was at my daughters graduation this past weekend in eastern North Carolina, and I was only able to get "edge" data the whole time. 5 bars signal tho so phone calls were not an issue. I found myself pulling over at a McDonalds once to do something on my iPad when i normally use my iPhone as a hotspot in the car.

However, I stopped in Charlotte on the way back which has LTE in place. I was very impressed with the speeds.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR