Guidance please - crossover upgrade

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
I apologize If this is in the wrong place. I just ordered my iPhone 5 at bestbuy will be picking up in store tomorrow. I would like to know what should I do first?

This is what I want to do. I added the 5 to my existing account but I want to use the 5 on my current line and use the old phone on new line.

What to do first. I spoke to Bestbuy manager and she said I would need to go to Verizon for new sim. Any help suggestions ideas to make this as smooth as possible. What should I do what shouldn't I do??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Guidance please

I would just drop by the nearest Verizon Wireless store and have them do it for you.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I just ordered my iPhone 5 at bestbuy will be picking up in store tomorrow. I would like to know what should I do first?

This is what I want to do. I added the 5 to my existing account but I want to use the 5 on my current line and use the old phone on new line.

What to do first. I spoke to Bestbuy manager and she said I would need to go to Verizon for new sim. Any help suggestions ideas to make this as smooth as possible. What should I do what shouldn't I do??
When you get the 5, go ahead and activate it on the line you purchased it on. Then log into verizon online and click on switch devices. You will be asked to input the SIM card number, which is the ICCID number.in settings, general, about.

If you need a new SIM card, it will tell you and offer to allow you to order it online but you can go into a verizon store and get one, too if that would be faster.

Note that if you had bought the phone anywhere else besides best buy or verizon or costco, you could be charged an additional fee by the retailer. Best Buy does not charge that fee.

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

Thanks for all replies. I'm still confused. I've been told don't activate until you switch and I've been told get new sim and activate. Which do I do??

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

When you get the 5, go ahead and activate it on the line you purchased it on. Then log into verizon online and click on switch devices. You will be asked to input the SIM card number, which is the ICCID number.in settings, general, about.

If you need a new SIM card, it will tell you and offer to allow you to order it online but you can go into a verizon store and get one, too if that would be faster.

Note that if you had bought the phone anywhere else besides best buy or verizon or costco, you could be charged an additional fee by the retailer. Best Buy does not charge that fee.

Yes, but shouldn't the device he is replacing be turned off while activating his new device? I remember having to do that when I replaced my 4S with the iPhone 5.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I'm still confused. I've been told don't activate until you switch
Since you don't have unlimited and bought from Best Buy, it might be fine to do it that way. Try it and see.

The problem I see is if Verizon already has the SIM in the new phone associated with the new line's phone number and has a hold on the online account due to a pending order. I have always activated the phones first on the lines I purchased them on. I did this to keep unlimited data on a line, which isn't an issue for you.

It is probably easiest to just go into a Verizon store and let them do it for you if that is convenient for you. If unlimited data isn't involved and you won't get hit with a fee from the retailer if you switch the phones, then they won't care.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

Yeah sounds like a trip to bestbuy and Verizon which is what I was trying to avoid. Thanks again for the help.

It is worth trying it online, but in my experience they put these holds on the account for pending orders and I think that blocks you from doing a switch before you activate on the line you purchased it on.

They will mail you a sim card to complete a switch if you don't want to go to a store.

jonathan2677

Dec 22, 2012
Visit site

Either way he will have to activate it, because best buy won't let him leave the store with it at a subsidized price without activating it, you would have had to wait 24 hrs in the past but I don't think that's the case any longer, the easiest way is online if you don't want to go to vzw, just curious why not buy at apple or vzw to begin with, was best buy having a good deal

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site

Yeah I had best buy gift cards for 150 bucks so it's the only reason why I decided to do it. That would be perfect if I don't have to wait long and just switch at home.

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Ok update 15:35 4/11/2013. There is was no need to go to Verizon. A simple phone call and phone switch was simple. No need for a new SIM card either. Thank you all for your replies.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Ok update 15:35 4/11/2013. There is was no need to go to Verizon. A simple phone call and phone switch was simple. No need for a new SIM card either. Thank you all for your replies.
Just so I understand, your phone was activated at Bestbuy and then you just called Verizon and they were able to switch it to another line without having to get another SIM card?

plt3121MarineAlways

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah activated at best buy. I was shocked too. The verizon rep said sometimes they have issues with 4g phones being activated more than once in 24 hours. I'm glad no issues here. No new sim needed.

androidluvr2

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
Yeah activated at best buy. I was shocked too. The verizon rep said sometimes they have issues with 4g phones being activated more than once in 24 hours. I'm glad no issues here. No new sim needed.

I just called verizon, and they said if you are swapping two 4G LTE phones between lines, you can just exchange SIM cards between the phones. This is because once activated in the Verizon system the SIM card are associated with the phone numbers of the line, not the phones they are in. If you do not currently have a 4G LTE phone on the line you want to move a 4G LTE phone to, you need to get a new SIM card.

So I am unclear on how this worked for you. The only reason I care is because I am going to do this soon and I want to understand it and also because I answer questions on the keep unlimited data thread over on the android forum and am always getting asked this.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77