Amber Alerts

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Last evening an Amber alert was pushed to iPhone's with an abduction out of Philadelphia.

The alert went off but only started "Amber Alert has been issues for your area, Check local media"

Though on other phones who got the same alert, they had additional details displayed on their devices.

Any reason why Verizon or the iPhone does not give this additional information on an iPhone?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
The "Amber Alert has been issues for your area, Check local media" is the standard Wireless Emergency Alert... Alerts with more/additional detail were likely originated & delivered via other legacy sources than WEA.

Saukrateaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
It depends on the carrier how the alert was received, if received at all. My AT&T devices (3 of them) didn't receive it at all but my Verizon ones did.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
It depends on the carrier how the alert was received, if received at all. My AT&T devices (3 of them) didn't receive it at all but my Verizon ones did.

AT&T is supposedly rolling out the WEAs - they may be available in some areas, and not others.

Also - the availability of WEAs is dependent upon the local and state law enforcement agencies getting credentialed and approved to be able to use the WEA system(s).

Further reading... http://www.emergencymgmt.com/emergency-blogs/alerts/Cell-Alerts-Stir-Up-011613.html

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77