Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    KajGuy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default iPhone dilemma

    Hey guys, so here's the deal.

    I really want an iPhone (4, 4S or 5). I'm on a Verizon contract with 1 android and 3 basic phones. Our plan doesn't end until July 2013, but one of our phones is broken, and all of them are pretty old. We wish we could stick with Verizon, but their new Share Everything plan would make us spend a LOT extra yearly. Is there a way we could leave Verizon and go somewhere else without paying the early termination fee? Any advice?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    Laelipoo's Avatar

    Posts
    1,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default iPhone dilemma

    Lemme ask you two questions: one--do you currently have, or even care about texting?

    Two--are any of your phones due for an upgrade?


    iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    ​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
  3. #3  
    pr1nce's Avatar


    Posts
    12,067 Posts
    Global Posts
    15,685 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    8.1

    Default iPhone dilemma

    I do quite a bit of texting. I just upgraded to the iPhone 4S. I also changed over to Verizon's share everything plan, it saves me about 10-15 bucks per month. I don't know of any way to terminate the contract without paying what you still owe.
  4. #4  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,010 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: iPhone dilemma

    canceling a Verizon contract without ETFs is very difficult... if you want an iPhone without changing your current situation, you'd be better off to buy a Verizon iPhone from a 3rd party source... putting it on your account won't change contract end dates.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  5. #5  
    Peligro911's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    4,873 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,922 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6 and 5

    Default iPhone dilemma

    If phone are that old one of those lines should have a upgrade


    Sent from my iPhone 5 from a galaxy far far away (in the USA ) using Tapatalk !
  6. #6  
    E_Brown's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default iPhone dilemma

    You're not required to go to the share everything plan. I just added a line to my account today and it was able to be an add on line and pay $30 for 2gb of data.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

    If I helped you, hit thanks.
  7. #7  
    Laelipoo's Avatar

    Posts
    1,972 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,517 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.1.2

    Default iPhone dilemma

    Yes, you can still get the data plan per line if/when you upgrade. The only issue is family texting as that is part of the plan and not per line, and would require you to switch plans if you wanted it.


    iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    iMore Forum Moderator
    iPhone 5s ✲ Macbook Pro running Mavericks 10.9 ✲ Apple TV 2nd Gen ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    ​@laelipoo on Twitter & App.netiMore's 20k Post Challenge
  8. Thread AuthorThread Author   #8  
    KajGuy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by Laelipoo View Post
    Lemme ask you two questions: one--do you currently have, or even care about texting?

    Two--are any of your phones due for an upgrade?


    iPhone 5 ✲ iPad 3 WiFi ✲ Macbook Pro running Lion 10.8.2 ✲ Xbox 360 ✲ Nintendo 3DS ✲ PS3

    Beamed from a galaxy far, far away using Tapatalk!
    Yep, we currently have unlimited texting, and we use it.
    2 of the 4 phones have passed their 2 year agreement. The other 2 end June and July 2013.

    Thanks for all the responses!

    Wait, are you guys saying that if I buy 3rd party Verizon phones I won't be forced into Share Everything?
  9. #9  
    E_Brown's Avatar
    iMore Specialist

    Posts
    1,059 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,902 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    5.0

    Default iPhone dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by KajGuy View Post
    Yep, we currently have unlimited texting, and we use it.
    2 of the 4 phones have passed their 2 year agreement. The other 2 end June and July 2013.

    Thanks for all the responses!

    Wait, are you guys saying that if I buy 3rd party Verizon phones I won't be forced into Share Everything?
    They aren't forcing into share everything even with and upgrade. I just got another lone on my account and added just 2Gb of data for that account. You will lose your unlimited data if you have it with an upgrade. I just activated a full retail 5 on my account and was able to keep unlimited data.
    I answer everything to the best of my knowledge. If I'm wrong, correct me.

    If I helped you, hit thanks.
  10. #10  
    kch50428's Avatar

    Posts
    11,010 Posts
    Global Posts
    11,891 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0

    Default Re: iPhone dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by KajGuy View Post
    Wait, are you guys saying that if I buy 3rd party Verizon phones I won't be forced into Share Everything?
    Yup.
    Keith - iMore Moderator - The Mobile Nations/iMore Forum Rules
     iPhone5 on VZW;  iPad(2012) - wifi with BadElf for GPS
    "When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser." -- Socrates
  11. #11  
    3cit's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,722 Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.6

    Default iPhone dilemma

    And Not to be too nosy here BUT...
    Are you on any sort of data plan right now, or do you all happen to be smartphone hold outs?
    The reason I ask is that with 4 devices a share plan would almost always save money. The exception being, of course, those who don't use data...

    Another option is that a 4line family such as yourselves is a desirable commodity. If you were to call AT&T and explain your situation about not being happy in Verizon, it is very possible that AT&T will cover your early cancellation fee.
    I did this myself once, and a friend of mine switched just a month ago and had his early termination fee paid. CALLING AT&T is the best way to get this accomplished.
  12. Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  
    KajGuy's Avatar
    iPhone Newbie

    Posts
    10 Posts
    Global Posts
    17 Global Posts

    Default Re: iPhone dilemma

    Quote Originally Posted by 3cit View Post
    And Not to be too nosy here BUT...
    Are you on any sort of data plan right now, or do you all happen to be smartphone hold outs?
    The reason I ask is that with 4 devices a share plan would almost always save money. The exception being, of course, those who don't use data...

    Another option is that a 4line family such as yourselves is a desirable commodity. If you were to call AT&T and explain your situation about not being happy in Verizon, it is very possible that AT&T will cover your early cancellation fee.
    I did this myself once, and a friend of mine switched just a month ago and had his early termination fee paid. CALLING AT&T is the best way to get this accomplished.
    The one smartphone is on Unlimited Data, but we don't need to keep that. That's interesting that other carriers would cover our ETF. Never thought of that!

    Thanks for all the replies!

    Does anyone know if Virgin Mobile is any good? They have some super inexpensive plans.

Similar Threads

  1. iPhone 4's antenna dilemma
    By JustinSaneV2 in forum iPhone 4
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 06-24-2010, 11:39 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-02-2010, 10:19 PM
  3. Iphone 2G Dilemma
    By island-lady02 in forum iPhone Apps & Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2010, 06:39 AM
  4. iPhone Case Dilemma
    By Blues003 in forum Accessories
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-18-2010, 04:58 AM
  5. iPhone Unlock Dilemma
    By glazmira in forum Jailbreaking, Unlocking, Hacks, Themes & Mods
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 08:50 AM

Posting Permissions