Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    12 Global Posts

Default Unable to buy phone outright at apple store?

So I was in the Apple store last week attempting to buy an iphone 5 outright, so that I'd be able to keep my unlimited data. However, they were unable to sell me one because Verizon had supposedly come up with a new rule that would prevent me from keeping my unlimited plan if I didn't buy from Verizon? The Apple store showed me an email saying that they couldn't do this anymore, which I think is somewhat ridiculous. Has anyone else heard of or experienced this?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts

Default Re: Unable to buy phone outright at apple store?

No but it could very well me an issue with the way the systems communicate or something of that nature. Idk why it would make a difference. Probably Verizon greed though.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,273 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    7.0.4/6.1

It's their way of forcing everyone off the unlimited data plans and onto their tiered data plans. I'm sure AT&T will follow suit sooner it later.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

I would think that it may be due to the profit on selling full retail phones. Last time I heard the price to the carriers from Apple was in the $499 range, so if you buy from Apple at full retail for $699 they keep the $200, if you buy from Verizon they keep the profit.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.[b
    [/b];1952143]assert your peanis into their *** and they will have to sell you an iPhone. They have a pene-us in their ***.
    Wow is all can say to you . That was a very dumb comment. Really unhelpful and just dumb. Do you really find that useful information ?!
    iPhone Nanite

Has anyone else heard of or experienced this?

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    214 Global Posts

That seems odd..... it could be that they have not met the pre orders for the people in the area but that seems like an isolated incident. An apple personal showing you an email though could just be big red pulling the final cord on unlimited data.... it was good for people while it lasted but as i always say it is inevitable that we will all be kicked off of our "unlimited" data plans. Either that or extreme throttling
    What are men without knowledge?
    What is knowledge without wisdom?
    What is wisdom without application?
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,944 Global Posts

It's bogus. You can buy your phone from anywhere and activate it on Verizon. They cannot dictate where you buy your phone from.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    iMore Beginner

Global Posts
    1,562 Global Posts

Try buying outright at a Verizon store
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by zrxoa1 View Post
    It's bogus. You can buy your phone from anywhere and activate it on Verizon. They cannot dictate where you buy your phone from.

IF what you say is true, then it’s a new development. VZW has always refused to activate devices on their network that weren’t originally purchased from VZW or an authorized third party (Apple, Best Buy, etc).
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    252 Global Posts

I purchased my iPhone at full price from the apple store a week ago. I still have unlimited with Verizon.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,944 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    IF what you say is true, then itís a new development. VZW has always refused to activate devices on their network that werenít originally purchased from VZW or an authorized third party (Apple, Best Buy, etc).
    I have bought MANY Verizon phones from other placed and people and then activated them on my Verizon account.... Not quite sure what exactly you are thinking about....

iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,944 Global Posts

Ok, now wait a sec...

I am referring to buying a Verizon phone, not just ANY phone. It must be a Verizon approved phone, yes. But to say I cannot buy one for full retail at best buy or apple and lose my unlimited data is wrong. Verizon will not do that. I don't believe for a second that the email shown to the OP (if there was one...) stated that apple could not sell a new Verizon iPhone for full retail.

iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

I have bought MANY Verizon phones from other placed and people and then activated them on my Verizon account.... Not quite sure what exactly you are thinking about....

But the phone was ORIGINALLY sold by VZW or an authorized agent. VZW will not activate a phone that was not originally sold for use on their network. Unlike AT&T and T-Mobile where any (SIM unlocked) GSM phone will work and can be activated/used on their network.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, now wait a sec...

I am referring to buying a Verizon phone, not just ANY phone. It must be a Verizon approved phone, yes. But to say I cannot buy one for full retail at best buy or apple and lose my unlimited data is wrong. Verizon will not do that. I don't believe for a second that the email shown to the OP (if there was one...) stated that apple could not sell a new Verizon iPhone for full retail.

I never said that. I was simply refuting your comment "You can buy your phone from anywhere and activate it on Verizon. They cannot dictate where you buy your phone from."
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,944 Global Posts

Ok, we weren't on exact same page there. I was referring to buying Verizon approved phones from places other than Verizon, in my original response.