Thinking I'm going to have to return my phone

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm very discouraged right now by the lack of unlimited data. Somehow I've used up almost half of the months data since last Friday. With very light use. Some surfing one podcast and that's about it. I can't see having this phone if its going to cost me so dearly.

I sold my 4s to Verizon and used an upgrade. My question is can all that've reversed? I know I can't get the 4s back I don't think, but what I really want to know is can I somehow downgrade back to unlimited? And get my upgrade back?

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm very discouraged right now by the lack of unlimited data. Somehow I've used up almost half of the months data since last Friday. With very light use. Some surfing one podcast and that's about it. I can't see having this phone if its going to cost me so dearly.

I sold my 4s to Verizon and used an upgrade. My question is can all that've reversed? I know I can't get the 4s back I don't think, but what I really want to know is can I somehow downgrade back to unlimited? And get my upgrade back?

I'm not sure... we're blazing new trails here, Kimosabe. With VZW working so hard to get everyone off if unlimited data and on to the shared plans, I'm gonna go with "no". But it can't hurt to stop in a store and plead your case. Good luck to you.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
If you buy a 4S from a 3rd party, and take that in and return your iP5, and activate the 4S, you would get your upgrade back... The unlimited data is probably gone for good. You could ask for it... the worst they can tell you is "no". If you just return the iP5, you'll get back what you paid for it and can use that towards purchase of another device. And you'll have to pony up a $35 restocking fee...

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

One podcast and some light web surfing should not consume a great deal of data. At least one would think not. How long was the podcast? Also, when you purchased your iPhone 5, did your data reset to zero or did they take the data you had consumed to that point from your unlimited plan & switch it over to your current plan? I hope that made sense.

Last edited:

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
If you buy a 4S from a 3rd party, and take that in and return your iP5, and activate the 4S, you would get your upgrade back... The unlimited data is probably gone for good. You could ask for it... the worst they can tell you is "no". If you just return the iP5, you'll get back what you paid for it and can use that towards purchase of another device. And you'll have to pony up a $35 restocking fee...

If that is indeed the case I guess I'll be sticking with the 5.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
One podcast and some light web surfing should not consume a great deal of data. At least one would think not. How long was the podcast? Also, when you purchased your iPhone 5, did your data reset to zero or did they take the data you had consumed to that point from your unlimited plan & switched it over to your current plan? I hope that made sense.

That's exactly my thoughts. I don't understand how so much data got consumed. I'm pretty sure they did not restart the data because I got the 50% usage text on Saturday. One day after getting the phone. Got the 75% yesterday and 90% today. All I did today was very little web browsing. Makes no since. I have a feeling that I'm somehow getting charged for my usage on wifi as well. Each usage alert I get comes while I'm at home on wifi. I

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That's exactly my thoughts. I don't understand how so much data got consumed. I'm pretty sure they did not restart the data because I got the 50% usage text on Saturday. One day after getting the phone. Got the 75% yesterday and 90% today. All I did today was very little web browsing. Makes no since. I have a feeling that I'm somehow getting charged for my usage on wifi as well. Each usage alert I get comes while I'm at home on wifi. I

It is very possible that you are being charged while using Wi-Fi. I've read posts in the past where others have complained of something similar. I'd definitely give them a call and argue the situation as well as confirm the usage in case you received the warning messages in error.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
When you're on Wi-Fi, make sure that Cellular Data is turned off.

Huh? Shouldn't that happen automatically? I thought when I see the little wifi signal I'm on wifi. Likewise with lte and 3G.

How do I make sure it's off in settings?

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you have LTE? Evidently there are quite a few cases where peoples phones are connecting to LTE even though they are on WIFI because the LTE is faster and the phone is going with the fastest connection available. That is likely what is going on in your case as well. I'd also turn off iCloud back-ups.

John Yester

Moderator Team Leader
Ambassador
May 23, 2012
Visit site
Negative.

WiFi will take priority over everything

i have never had to turn off cell radio to use WiFi only.

When you connected to WiFi, it takes priority over cell connection for anything data minded. Though reason for still keeping cell radio turned on is for calls and text to come through.

Something is not right on your provisioning or data estimates. I would advise you to have verizon look at the account.

Apple4ever2011

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
You Should be able to take it back. They might hit you with a Restocking Fee... but they don't have a reason to take your old plan away. it's a Non-Sale...the new contract you signed is void because you didn't receive any good in return to justify the contract. Per their return policy time limit all should return to previous contract. you will need to find a phone now. the Contract was not fulfilled since you returned the phone. Don't Back Down when you go in to store... They Have a Return policy. it's a Policy not a Favor they are doing for you...go up the Chain till you get your old contract back...

GingerSnapsBack

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Are you being prorated for data? Did you switch in the middle of the month therefore Verizon is only going to give you a portion of the data for that month and the next month, you'll get the full allowance?

And I doubt you'll get unlimited data back. As others have said, Big Red is doing everything they can to get people off unlimited data. I have a feeling that in the forseeable future, there won't be an option for those of us with unlimited data to keep it no matter what we do.

jimpilot

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Negative.

WiFi will take priority over everything

i have never had to turn off cell radio to use WiFi only.

When you connected to WiFi, it takes priority over cell connection for anything data minded. Though reason for still keeping cell radio turned on is for calls and text to come through.

Something is not right on your provisioning or data estimates. I would advise you to have verizon look at the account.

Please see this link from I more front page:

Verizon iPhone 5 carrier update looks to solve glitch which used cellular data even when connected to Wi-Fi | iMore.com

If the link doesn't work or I did it wrong it shows an update pushed today for iPhone 5s because they continued to use cell data even when connected to wi-fi.

This may be the cause of your high data use.

count123

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Any particular trick, or did you just ask nicely? I'm sure it'll come in handy for someone down the road!

No trick really. More like luck of the draw. Called Verizon to ask about why I was burning through so much data with so little usage. Of coarse they couldn't help with that. So on a " Hail Mary" attempt I figures I would just ask for my unlimited back. The young lady said hold please. I held. Bout a minute later she came back on the line and said, ok I got your unlimited back for $29.99, do you want to do it? Do I want to do it!?!? Is the pope catholic?

ericsmcdonald

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
That is the problem. They automatically prorate the cost and usage when u switch in the middle of the month. And when you first get a phone you tend to use it a lot. I have 8 devices (3 LTE iPhones, 2 4S iPhones, 2 iPad 2s, and a hotspot) on one share everything and am fine with 4 gigs all ... all devices having daily use. Get past this first month and I bet you'll be fine.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234