Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By johndhynes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Default Swapping lines

Just got this from AT&T:
    Congratulations your order has shipped! ! We are so excited you chose AT&T! Thank you again for choosing AT&T, the nationsí largest 4G network.

Did you know? You can use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device! To take advantage of this offer, follow these steps:
    1. Upgrade the line that is eligible.
    2. When your device arrives, call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
    3. Select option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number.
    I thought I'd have take a trip to the store, but maybe they can remotely reprogram the nano-SIM? I'll find out in a few hours!
    Last edited by johndhynes; 09-21-2012 at 08:26 PM.
    Thanked by:
    ecr80 (09-21-2012)
    ecr80 likes this.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

I followed the above steps, and the AT&T operator switched lines for me, without having to go to the store, swap nano-SIMs, etc. She said I had to change data plans, though, from Unlimited 3G to Unlimited 4GLTE at the same price!

She said that I should not turn on the phone before calling, or it will activate the wrong number, which they would then have to be reversed.
    Last edited by johndhynes; 09-21-2012 at 08:28 PM.
    iPhone Intermediate

You answered my question but I still don't believe it. I have two lines and two iPhones on my account. The other line is eligible. I can upgrade that line and get the phone and then use it on my line? This seem too good to be true.

Global Posts
    7,862 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6.1.3

Quote Originally Posted by AZMerf View Post
    You answered my question but I still don't believe it. I have two lines and two iPhones on my account. The other line is eligible. I can upgrade that line and get the phone and then use it on my line? This seem too good to be true.
    Definitely works. I did it last year. Took my husband's upgrade, and ten swapped the upgraded phone to my line and my phone to his. This year I had the upgrade so I got the new one and AT&T switched my 4S to my husband's number. All they really need is the IMEI number and the SIM number to put in their database and it's good to go.
    iPhone Intermediate

I hope you guys are right. I just ordered it on my other line. I'll know in 3 to 4 weeks. Thanks for the responses.
    iMore Newbie

Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Awesome tip, been looking for something like this. Now i'm ready for once it arrives.
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Quote Originally Posted by AZMerf View Post
    This is the second time in four years I've ordered a new iPhone using someone else's line. (On the same FamilyTalk plan, of course.) AT&T sent me the letter I quoted above. You can also find the info on their web site. I actually thought I'd have to get a new nano-SIM, but they were able to switch me over remotely over the phone without touching it. Not only is it possible, it's encouraged!
    Last edited by johndhynes; 09-22-2012 at 01:52 AM.
    iMore Beginner

It's true, I used my girlfriends line that was eligible for an upgrade to get the 5 and today that I received it I called from my own cellphone to AT&T and let them know I wanted it activated under my line and not hers, the rep asked for the imei # and some other # on the iPhone box, hung up the line and activated the new phone on my line
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    379 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 8

Strange, all they asked me was the two phone numbers.