Swapping lines

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Just got this from AT&T:
Congratulations your order has shipped! ! We are so excited you chose AT&T! Thank you again for choosing AT&T, the nations? largest 4G network.

Did you know? You can use the upgrade eligibility of another number on your account to upgrade your own device! To take advantage of this offer, follow these steps:
1. Upgrade the line that is eligible.
2. When your device arrives, call 1-800-331-0500 or 611 from a different wireless device. Enter the wireless number that received the upgrade.
3. Select option #2 to activate your phone on a different mobile number.
I thought I'd have take a trip to the store, but maybe they can remotely reprogram the nano-SIM? I'll find out in a few hours!

Last edited:
Reactions: ecr80

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
I followed the above steps, and the AT&T operator switched lines for me, without having to go to the store, swap nano-SIMs, etc. She said I had to change data plans, though, from Unlimited 3G to Unlimited 4GLTE at the same price!

She said that I should not turn on the phone before calling, or it will activate the wrong number, which they would then have to be reversed.

Last edited:

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
You answered my question but I still don't believe it. I have two lines and two iPhones on my account. The other line is eligible. I can upgrade that line and get the phone and then use it on my line? This seem too good to be true.

AZMerf

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I hope you guys are right. I just ordered it on my other line. I'll know in 3 to 4 weeks. :) Thanks for the responses.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
You answered my question but I still don't believe it. I have two lines and two iPhones on my account. The other line is eligible. I can upgrade that line and get the phone and then use it on my line? This seem too good to be true.

This is the second time in four years I've ordered a new iPhone using someone else's line. (On the same FamilyTalk plan, of course.) AT&T sent me the letter I quoted above. You can also find the info on their web site. I actually thought I'd have to get a new nano-SIM, but they were able to switch me over remotely over the phone without touching it. Not only is it possible, it's encouraged!

Last edited:

Young Money

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
It's true, I used my girlfriends line that was eligible for an upgrade to get the 5 and today that I received it I called from my own cellphone to AT&T and let them know I wanted it activated under my line and not hers, the rep asked for the imei # and some other # on the iPhone box, hung up the line and activated the new phone on my line :)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jp8