Good news on nano sim! (Verizon)

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon today and they told me that with the nano sim and especially with the iPhone, you can change phone numbers on the iPhone sim, unlike the current sims.

I preordered the 5 on my boys line but will activate then put him back on his phone and move the 5 to my line. Normally a new sim would be required, but they say not so with the iPhone.

Sent from my tricked out Iphone!

Reactions: jayfry

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
That would definitely be nice, since I essentially did the same and transferred an upgrade. I still may stop at Verizon and have them activate it since I pass right by them.

stockandroidguy

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I called Verizon today and they told me that with the nano sim and especially with the iPhone, you can change phone numbers on the iPhone sim, unlike the current sims.

I preordered the 5 on my boys line but will activate then put him back on his phone and move the 5 to my line. Normally a new sim would be required, but they say not so with the iPhone.

Awesome thats some good news

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering why it didn't say a new sim was required coming from a galaxy s3. Finally I got tired of needing different sims all the time.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering why it didn't say a new sim was required coming from a galaxy s3. Finally I got tired of needing different sims all the time.

Wouldn't you need a new SIM coming from the Galaxy as it uses a bigger SIM card? How will you get your micro SIM into the new iPhone?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
That would definitely be nice, since I essentially did the same and transferred an upgrade. I still may stop at Verizon and have them activate it since I pass right by them.

I was told if you did a alternate vs processing the upgrade on the original line you lose unlimited .. Friday is going to be fun lol

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
I was told if you did a alternate vs processing the upgrade on the original line you lose unlimited .. Friday is going to be fun lol

For sure going to be interesting. I've pretty much kissed my unlimited goodbye. I was just happy I could get on the 2gb for $30 or I would have paid full retail.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Wouldn't you need a new SIM coming from the Galaxy as it uses a bigger SIM card? How will you get your micro SIM into the new iPhone?

Idk it didn't say anything about needing a new sim, Guess we will see if they send one with the phone or what.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site

Using an alternate upgrade, yes you will lose unlimited....but there is a work around. My wife's account is different than mine. She has 5 lines, but is only using 2...and 2 of the other ones have upgrades available. So if you go in the store and have them upgrade one of those lines and switch it to her number, that is called an alternate upgrade. You will lose unlimited in that case. But if you do like I did...called customer service, upgraded one of those lines for her son to the Galaxy S3. They sent the phone and a SIM card. I activated it. Then I went into the store and said I wanted to put the dumb phone that was on there, back on there...canceled the data plan, then asked for a new SIM with her son's number on it. They gave it to me, we activated it and no one loses unlimited.

Basically its like I am doing all of the "leg work" and he gets to keep unlimited.

patton4549

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site

So you mean if you activated it on the upgrade line first then yours you keep unlimited? Also if you call and activated straight to your line you will lose unlimited?

Joe McG

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure they will send a nano with the phone. Just like they would send a SIM with any new phone you ordered, unless you already had a compatible SIM.

Typically the SIM cards come pre installed in the iPhone at the factory. The box has the sim information which is used by the carrier to activate. There is no swapping sims needed unless you are doing some switching.

Icyhot1966

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
Typically the SIM cards come pre installed in the iPhone at the factory. The box has the sim information which is used by the carrier to activate. There is no swapping sims needed unless you are doing some switching.

I hope that is the case. Mine can come already activated. Won't hurt my feelings lol

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

If they activate it on the other line than change it over you don't lose unlimited. Now if they use that upgrade on their line then yes they will lose unlimited. But what the op appears to be doing is just switching the phone once activated on another line.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I will activate the phone on my sons line. Once it is actually activated on his line, I will go online to vzw and put his old phone right back on his line and drop the data plan. Once that is done, the iPhone 5 will be considered a "used" phone and I can then activate it on my line same as one I bought new at retail or used off eBay or from a friend. I will then get to keep my unlimited data.

tourstagefan

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Apologies in advance if this question has already been addressed in another thread. I've seen similar threads, but my case seems to be the opposite situation.

As background, I have 2 Verizon lines under my name.

Line 1 = Dumb, flip phone
Line 2 = iPhone 4 (with unlimited data plan)

"Line 1"(dumb phone) was eligible for upgrade on 9/14, so I pre-ordered the iP5.

I want to activate the iP5 on "Line 2" when I receive it this Fri. and activate the old iP4 on "Line 1."

Quest. 1: Do I need to simply call Verizon CS to switch the numbers or as this thread mentioned, do I need to go get a new nano SIM card at a Verizon store?

Quest. 2: Given the facts of my situation, can I keep the unlimited data plan when I activate the new iP5?

I hope my explanation makes sense. Thanks in advance!

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Apologies in advance if this question has already been addressed in another thread. I've seen similar threads, but my case seems to be the opposite situation.

As background, I have 2 Verizon lines under my name.

Line 1 = Dumb, flip phone
Line 2 = iPhone 4 (with unlimited data plan)

"Line 1"(dumb phone) was eligible for upgrade on 9/14, so I pre-ordered the iP5.

I want to activate the iP5 on "Line 2" when I receive it this Fri. and activate the old iP4 on "Line 1."

Quest. 1: Do I need to simply call Verizon CS to switch the numbers or as this thread mentioned, do I need to go get a new nano SIM card at a Verizon store?

Quest. 2: Given the facts of my situation, can I keep the unlimited data plan when I activate the new iP5?

I hope my explanation makes sense. Thanks in advance!

Did you transfer the upgrade from line 1 to your second line? Or did you just do the upgrade on line 1?

I'm in a similar situation...though I transferred the upgrade from my other line to my iPhone line. However I still think I have to activate it under the non-iPhone line, then re-activate the old phone and activate the iPhone on my line.

Not sure if my scenario allows me to keep unlimited data or not. I really don't care either way because I never use more than 1gb of data.

zrxoa1

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
The new iPhone must be activated on the dumb phone line first, then put the dumb phone back on that line and drop the data plan. Then you can have the new iPhone put on your current iPhone line. Once that is done, you can put the old iPhone on the dumb phone line and choose your data plan, I would guess the 2gb for $30 deal, but pick whatever you want.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR