Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

Default Email POP3

So I'm nearly at my wits end.

I am trying to set up my email on my ipad. My email address is telus.net
    I can receive emails no problem but can't seem to get the outgoing server correct.

After hours of google searching the only answer I can find is to go:

smtp.telus.net

for the host name, and to leave the user and password fields blank.
    I've tried everything from mail.telus.net -> smtp.telus.net

and then putting in my username and password and also doing my full email address and password.

Emails still won't send. Has anyone had this problem, and what was your fix? I am on my home network, which is an eastlink service. I have tried to use the smtp.eastlink.ca outgoing server with no avail

The error that comes up when trying to send an email using smtp.telus.net is ---

" The recipient "%@" was rejected by the server because the user is unknown. "

This happens regardless who I try and send an email to.
    Last edited by Shawn Bouchard; 06-15-2012 at 01:18 AM.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Bouchard View Post
    So I'm nearly at my wits end.

I am trying to set up my email on my ipad. My email address is telus.net
    I can receive emails no problem but can't seem to get the outgoing server correct.

After hours of google searching the only answer I can find is to go:

smtp.telus.net

for the host name, and to leave the user and password fields blank.
    I've tried everything from mail.telus.net -> smtp.telus.net

and then putting in my username and password and also doing my full email address and password.

Emails still won't send. Has anyone had this problem, and what was your fix? I am on my home network, which is an eastlink service. I have tried to use the smtp.eastlink.ca outgoing server with no avail

The error that comes up when trying to send an email using smtp.telus.net is ---

" The recipient "%@" was rejected by the server because the user is unknown. "

This happens regardless who I try and send an email to.
    The problem is with your SMTP settings, and truthfully, may not be fixable. The issue is that your ISP (the one you use to actually connect to the internet) is requiring you to use THEIR SMTP server, and requiring you to authenticate through them. But even if you get those settings correct, you may run into issues when you are connected to another network - either 3G or wifi.

You can thank the spammers and spoofers for creating this mess... and the ISPs for locking everything down to try to prevent the spammers and spoofers from doing their deeds on the ISPs servers.

I have multiple email addresses configured on my iOS devices - one that always works is a gmail.com address. Another one is my personal web domain which is hosted by GoDaddy. GoDaddy is unique in that they offer "relays" that you can use to connect to their SMTP server through any ISP and authenticate and send email. I am not sure what your ISP offers in the way of relays or similar. Maybe their website or their tech support can help you get it sorted out... it's one of those things that makes you crazy... and each ISP has their own way of dealing with spam, spoof and authentication.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    iPhone Nanite

Default Re: Email POP3

Why can't I send emails from my iPad?
    Mary Chew