anyone else screwed by Sprint

dj80d

May 8, 2012
Visit site
Went to upgrade mine and my wife's phones today and its the 12th. we both are going with the 4s and the guy tells us that its 50 dollars off all iphones so we are happy saving 100 dollars, so the guy calls and trys to make it sound like we need are upgrade moved up and when i say moved up i mean by 2 weeks. they person on the other line says no. it has to be the 18th of this month i laughed what kind of joke could this be its 6 dam days away, i mean come on really. what a joke. i hate the fact that i have to use sprint because of we have no other service that will not work out here. sorry i just wanted to rant about my debacle today o and by the way it takes me an hour to get to my city so its not just a quick drive

iLive an iLife

Trusted Member
Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
A friend of mine had the EXACT same issue. She has a BlackBerry Curve and is going to be switching to an iPhone (mainly for FaceTime - her husband works out of town Monday - Friday and they have a 3 month old). She wanted to cash in her early upgrade and get her iPhone in January before the baby was born. Well Sprint did away with the annual upgrade, she said received notice and wouldn't let her upgrade. She called customer service and tried explaining her situation and they couldn't have cared less. Her husband ended up calling a couple weeks ago (around May 1) and asked if they could upgrade early. Sprint said yes and move their upgrade date up 10 days. So not they can upgrade May 20th - he was hoping they'd move it up to day he called so they could go get new phones over the weekend.

I had Sprint way back when and they had terrible customer service. I switched to Verizon about 6 years ago and have had a great experience!

dj80d

May 8, 2012
Visit site
A friend of mine had the EXACT same issue. She has a BlackBerry Curve and is going to be switching to an iPhone (mainly for FaceTime - her husband works out of town Monday - Friday and they have a 3 month old). She wanted to cash in her early upgrade and get her iPhone in January before the baby was born. Well Sprint did away with the annual upgrade, she said received notice and wouldn't let her upgrade. She called customer service and tried explaining her situation and they couldn't have cared less. Her husband ended up calling a couple weeks ago (around May 1) and asked if they could upgrade early. Sprint said yes and move their upgrade date up 10 days. So not they can upgrade May 20th - he was hoping they'd move it up to day he called so they could go get new phones over the weekend.

I had Sprint way back when and they had terrible customer service. I switched to Verizon about 6 years ago and have had a great experience!

yea i used to have sprint and i hate them but when i lived in Utah i had Verizon then moved to Washington and were i live the only thing that comes in here is sprint so we have them. so i guess im screwed. but just cant believe they wouldnt do an upgrade which makes them some kind of money or something a week early.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm surprised Verizon does not work and sprint does I have never encountered that with Verizon

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
You guys do realize that in the Sprint upgrade systems 6 days is no different than 18 months? The discounts are system generated. When a store marks these phones down it comes out of a monthly allowed budget. So when they upgrade people because they just want a new phone it pulls from what they can do for those who may need a new one.

But of course you don't realize that. You think the carriers should do whatever you want because you pay your bill on time.

yuane1966

May 14, 2012
Visit site
hmp.gif

Superjudge

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say you have been screwed by Sprint. You entered into a contract and now want to change the terms of that contract. I'm kinda surprised though. I've never had an issue getting an upgrade a couple weeks early. They usually are very accommodating with these types of issues as a matter of customer retention which has become a big deal for them. I'm not sure how long you have been a Sprint customer but maybe talking to the retention department will have more success over their general customer service and in store employees.

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I've never had any problems with Sprint, but they also let me upgrade my phone about three weeks early. I was in BestBuy just comparing what I was going to upgrade to, the salesperson there called Sprint and told them that I need to upgrade early (he did this so I wouldn't have to drive the 60 miles back into Reno in a couple of weeks). Sprint said OK, and I got my iPhone early. I wouldn't have complained if they made me wait until my upgrade date, but it was nice of them to upgrade me early.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
This just hit the internets this morning... my prediction: more pissed off Sprint customers:

Sprint reportedly cancelling its early upgrade program June 1st - Engadget

Discontinuing early upgrades for people who are 10-14 days from eligibility is beyond me. Those customers will either wait another week and a half to two weeks to upgrade or get ticked off and bolt to another carrier after that time period is up. On the surface, I can't see how this will be an advantage to Sprint.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Discontinuing early upgrades for people who are 10-14 days from eligibility is beyond me. Those customers will either wait another week and a half to two weeks to upgrade or get ticked off and bolt to another carrier after that time period is up. On the surface, I can't see how this will be an advantage to Sprint.

That was my initial thought... but to be sure, it's going to tweak some customers and send them packing at their first opportunity... or just piss 'em off. Seems like a lot of angst brewing for something as insignificant as having to wait an extra 10-14 days. Shees.

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
That was my initial thought... but to be sure, it's going to tweak some customers and send them packing at their first opportunity... or just piss 'em off. Seems like a lot of angst brewing for something as insignificant as having to wait an extra 10-14 days. Shees.

No doubt about it. Besides, for all intents and purposes, Sprint has recouped all of its money from those customers after having purchased their devices at a discounted contractual rate and therefore, I just don't get their logic in this matter.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

jkeitz

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
If it doesn't make sense, I promise Sprint does it. Signed, a fmr 12+yr customer who's much happier with Big Red.

Oh man, you ain't kidding! You mean to say that after I've waited NEARLY TWO YEARS to upgrade my phone, I'm gonna have to wait a WHOLE OTHER TWO WEEKS?!? That's does it! I'm leaving Sprint as soon as I can! Gimme the limited data and crappy service of Verizon right now! Sprint, you've screwed me (by sticking to your damn agreements) for the last time!

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
6 days... why not allow 7 days or 8 days or 9 days or 10 days. hold one, why not a year early?

just wait and be happy.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I mean a week is not that long to wait but,.....you would think Sprint would want to get rid of as many iPhones as quick as they could considering they bet the entire farm on it!

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
6 days... why not allow 7 days or 8 days or 9 days or 10 days. hold one, why not a year early?

just wait and be happy.

I doubt many people have a problem waiting, but the timeframe is silly. It's like the September 1st deadline for schools in that a child that was born on September 5th has to wait entire whole year to start kindergarten but the kid who was born a week earlier can start now. Stupid! It would have been better if Sprint would have just stated that they no longer honor early upgrades, but no, they opted to focus on people who are within days of their contract expiring. That is what people are ticked about, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Last edited:

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
I doubt many people have a problem waiting, but the timeframe is silly. It's like the September 1st deadline for schools in that a child that was born on September 5th has to wait entire whole year to start kindergarten but the kid who was born a week earlier can start now. Stupid! It would have been better if Sprint would have just stated that they no longer honor early upgrades, but no, they opted to focus on people who are within days of their contract expiring. That is what people are ticked about, in my opinion.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)
The problem is where does the line get drawn?

Just_Me_D

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
The problem is where does the line get drawn?

At the point of sale by stating and honoring the no early upgrade policy without a penalty. in regard to the schools, I'd suggest December 31st of each year.

Just Me, D
(Tapatalk - iPhone 4S)

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadisonOlsen