Straight talk

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I recently heard that you can get an iPhone (AT&T or Verizon) at Walmart without a contract and use the straight talk pay as you go option. Anyone know this is true or using it? I wonder what the service is like, data, speed, mms, simultaneous call-data?

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm using an iPhone 4s on StraightTalk. You CANNOT use the Verizon version but GSM iPhone can be easily set up with full functionality. StraightTalk's compatible plan offers unlimited text, SMS and approximately 2gig data/month for $45. The BYOD SIM can be had for $15. There is extensive info about the plan as well as how to guides over at http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php/551-Straight-Talk

Happy to answer any question you might have.

Cheers

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
Hi, I'm using an iPhone 4s on StraightTalk. You CANNOT use the Verizon version but GSM iPhone can be easily set up with full functionality. StraightTalk's compatible plan offers unlimited text, SMS and approximately 2gig data/month for $45. The BYOD SIM can be had for $15. There is extensive info about the plan as well as how to guides over at Straight Talk

Happy to answer any question you might have.

Cheers

I am pretty sure your iPhone needs to be Unlocked or "off-contract" to do this though? Right?

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Your phone does NOT have to be unlocked or off contract (not sure what this has to do with anything) but if you are in contract with another carrier will will be hit with an ETF.

Cheers

Reactions: Brickman

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Your phone does NOT have to be unlocked or off contract (not sure what this has to do with anything) but if you are in contract with another carrier will will be hit with an ETF.

Cheers

Plz explain because my understanding is unless u have a factory unlocked iPhone you would have to somehow unlock the sim to accept another carrier

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I think it is because technically you are still using AT&T towers. StraightTalk doesn't have any of it's own towers....just "rents" from the big four carriers. I have set up 4 iPhones on ST (3 iPhone 4, 1 iPhone 4s) and they are all "locked" to AT&T. Check out the HoFo section I linked in the second post. Also, there is info at the StraightTalk website https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ww.straighttalk.com%2FShopSims&token=0zsG7TOn

Cheers

Reactions: sherlock

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Oh cool that makes since then . It's also explain why Verizon 4s would not work since its gsm part is not setup for att towers .. Good info if anyone needs to go that route I know straight talk uses Verizon towers also for some of there phones but good luck trying to get your esn in straight talks system lol

sherlock

Sep 6, 2010
Visit site
I think it is because technically you are still using AT&T towers. StraightTalk doesn't have any of it's own towers....just "rents" from the big four carriers. I have set up 4 iPhones on ST (3 iPhone 4, 1 iPhone 4s) and they are all "locked" to AT&T. Check out the HoFo section I linked in the second post. Also, there is info at the StraightTalk website https://forums.imore.com/e?link=htt...ww.straighttalk.com%2FShopSims&token=WI34h6lC

Cheers

The facts are similar to the rumor I had heard. There's no need to unlock the phone it will just use any approved gsm signal it finds. I heard that both AT&T and TMO towers work.

Based on this info I may look into this as an option.

Sent from my iPad2 using Tapatalk

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site

Cheers

Uhmmm. Interesting. I always always told it needed to be Unlocked or AT&T would have a fit. Of course there is no way I am paying an ETF. I have 5 iPhones!:eek: That would get expensive.

caribouranch

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Support | Straight Talk

This says you can use a AT&T, T-Mobile compatible or Unlocked GSM phone. And they have regular SIM (iPhone 3G, 3GS) and micro SIM (iPhone 4, 4S) cards for sale for $14.99.

I am strongly considering this as an option, but I am wondering, does anyone currently on Straight Talk know how the data speeds are? I don't think that's a huge issue for me, since I'm on WiFi at home and work, but I'm just trying to figure out my options, trying to chose between Straight Talk, T-Mobile's Walmart $30/month plan, AT&T Prepaid plan, Virgin Mobile, or Cricket. (Yes, I hate contracts, LOL)

Thanks

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
Support | Straight Talk

This says you can use a AT&T, T-Mobile compatible or Unlocked GSM phone. And they have regular SIM (iPhone 3G, 3GS) and micro SIM (iPhone 4, 4S) cards for sale for $14.99.

I am strongly considering this as an option, but I am wondering, does anyone currently on Straight Talk know how the data speeds are? I don't think that's a huge issue for me, since I'm on WiFi at home and work, but I'm just trying to figure out my options, trying to chose between Straight Talk, T-Mobile's Walmart $30/month plan, AT&T Prepaid plan, Virgin Mobile, or Cricket. (Yes, I hate contracts, LOL)

Thanks

Take a look here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1737642-Post-Your-Straight-Talk-Speedtests

Cheers

Massie

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
Sophos, which method did you use to activate MMS on your iPhones? I'm strongly considering using Straight Talk, and while I can deal with the loss of Visual Voicemail, I would definitely need MMS.

Also: does iMessage still work for text and images?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Sophos, which method did you use to activate MMS on your iPhones? I'm strongly considering using Straight Talk, and while I can deal with the loss of Visual Voicemail, I would definitely need MMS.

iMessage will work as long as you have a data connection ..

Sophos

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site

I used the the tmobile sim swap detailed here:

http://wiki.howardforums.com/index.php/Straight_Talk_iPhone

I've been using straighttalk now for almost a year with no problems. I was skeptical at first and so I opted for a new phone number with them rather than porting in the number I've had for years. I used my google voice number and just never gave out my "real" straighttalk number. After about nine months of zero problems (including several trips out of my home calling area and one trip to Hawaii) I went ahead and ported in my longtime phone number.

Cheers

PS yes, iMessage works great.....wish I knew more people with iPhones :(

Amy Smith1

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Yes Walmart is now selling the straight talk iPhone 4's and iPhone 5 and they are on Verizon network and use Verizon towers! I bought the iPhone 5 from Walmart on straight talk! It is a great phone and because its using Verizon towers you get amazing service, clear calling! The only thing I hate is straight talks customer service! It's a pain in the butt getting it all setup and working because straight talk customer service stinks and they have no idea what they are talking about half the time! Once I finally got it all setup! I live it!

Amy Smith1

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought the Walmart straight talk iPhone 5. I love it and you can't beat the price! I was just wondering if anyone was having the same problem as I! My phone works great but as soon as I jailbreak it my 3G Internet and certain apps, like Facebook, Instagram stops working! Is anyone having the same trouble and does anyone know why?

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711