They throttle us; we throttle them

Cubby2zeta

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I have been throttled. My data speed tops out at 0.1 Mpbs. It typically is 2+ Mpbs. I got the warning text message, and then the throttling text message. I called AT&T and asked why my speed had been reduced. I barely said a word and the lady went on a 10min rant about how i was a data hog and I needed to be more considerate. I was throttled with 15 days left in my billing cycle.

They said I am the top 5%. I had just rolled over 2Gb when it happened.

I say; lets make the top 5% much higher than that! Since I was throttled I have turned off wifi and continuously downloaded a very large app. My monthly data is now at 10.2 Gb.

I hope to reach at least 20+ Gb by March 7th.

Lenerdosy

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
Lucky unlimited plans. Wish my carrier did that and I would be throttled like 3 days into my billing cycle streaming the radio.

Cubby2zeta

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
U should stream pandora too. Lol
Yep, I'm streaming everything too, its all coming thru, just real slowly. I think they took off the limit last night b/c my data went from 5Gb to 10Gb overnight. But it was back down to 0.1 Mpbs this morning. Using WeeTrackData jailbreak app to watch my data use go up, kinda fun, although my phone is useless for anything else outside wifi now.

tlo07

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
The thing that scares me about this whole throttling business is that they can change the rules anytime they like. Say they are successful at getting everyone off the unlimited data plans and onto a 3 gb plan. Whats to stop them from saying 6 months or a year from now that 3 gb is too taxing on their network and starting to throttle 3 gb plan users at 2 or 1gb? I think if they want me to switch from unlimited to 3 gb they should write into the contract that I will not be throttled unless I exceed my 3 gb. It would also help if the 3 gb were cheaper than the current unlimited plan. That would provide more of an incentive for people to switch.

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
The thing that scares me about this whole throttling business is that they can change the rules anytime they like. Say they are successful at getting everyone off the unlimited data plans and onto a 3 gb plan. Whats to stop them from saying 6 months or a year from now that 3 gb is too taxing on their network and starting to throttle 3 gb plan users at 2 or 1gb? I think if they want me to switch from unlimited to 3 gb they should write into the contract that I will not be throttled unless I exceed my 3 gb. It would also help if the 3 gb were cheaper than the current unlimited plan. That would provide more of an incentive for people to switch.

That's the part that burns me! They DON'T throttle those that are on limited plans. Those folks get charged more and keep the speed. Seems odd that it doesn't hurt the network then!

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Earlier this month I got the infamous text message indicating I was in the top 5%. I was 10 days into my cycle and used 2.5GB. Got an e-mail titled "high data usage" so I called AT&T. I was also lectured how I used the most amongst smartphone users. I said, "why does AT&T offer a 3GB plan then?" He replied, "the top 5% only counts for unlimited users in your area." I find that ridiculous!!! The text said that my speeds would not be reduced THIS billing cycle as the top 5% changes. I've now used 4.5GB at normal speeds, but what happens next month if I exceed 2GB?

They'd be better off just getting rid of all the unlimited plans instead of doing this. I have always said that if they are going to throttle it should be at a certain point, like T-Mobile. Throttle all unlimited users at 10GB or maybe even 5GB. Hopefully with all these lawsuits going on something good comes out of it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Glad I'm not on AT&T but you all should sue because this who thing is just wrong .. Unlimited is just that

Sent Into Orbit from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

vietalogy

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Since all the BS with at$t I started to use pandora while in the car to and from work and I'm just over 6gb and got a warning but have not been throttled yet.

Via Tapatalk

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
didnt ATT just lose a lawsuit in regards to throttling? I think they had to pay the user $850. $85 for each of the 10 months remaining on his contract.

DailyTech - California Man Prevails in AT&T 3G Data Throttling Lawsuit

who is going to be the one to start the class action lawsuit? If they have to pay all of us $850, they might think twice about it

No they won't. AT&T will just raise their fees again to cover the cost of the lawsuits. Like another upgrade fee increase. Or a increase in data plans again like they recently did after the failed merger with T-Mobile.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully more people will sue and something good will come out of it. Such as AT&T completely doing away with the throttling as it was just pointed out that doing this doesn't help their network. I would be ok if they did it at 10GB. Make that the standard and throttle accordingly. Those on 4G LTE devices should be throttled to 1MB and those on 3G around 512kbps. At least that would make your phone usable.

I also don'r like how they insist I use WiFi everywhere I go. I pay $30 for an internet plan and should be able to fully use it. 2GB is not abusing the network. Now if us fellow unlimited users were using 200GB within the first couple days of our billing cycle, then yes, we're abusing it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR