More info on throttling from AT&T.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
AP/MSNBC story on AT&T throttling this morning. It's not just how much data you are using but the location as well according to them. So users in NYC may in theory get throttled at much lower usage than someone in St. Louis because of the greater network usage overall.

AT&T customers surprised by 'unlimited data' limit - Technology & science - Tech and gadgets - msnbc.com

Nothing new here. Location has always been "known". Regardless of what they say it's BS. They are are throttling most at 2GB. I'm in Chicago at got hit at 2 while someone is some small Montana town gets the same. Makes no sense.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
It was just a coincidence that At&t offerered new data plans right before these throttling messages came. You can't get anybody to switch to 2GB tiered plan but its easier to get people to switch a 3GB. Its all BS. At&t has taken away true unlimited data.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I hadn't seen them say anything about throttling different areas at different levels based on usage.

I said that the days of unlimited would end awhile back, maybe 2 years ago. In the next year or 2 I would not be surprised if they simply do not let people keep their "unlimited" plans when they upgrade. Everyone will be required to have a tiered plan soon.

Didn't the "unlimited" plan technically have a 5GB cap that was just never enforced?

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
As I've stated before....if you want to throttle unlimited plans, fine...whatever. But at least throttle it after hitting the lowest available tiered plan. Make it even....3 gigs.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I hadn't seen them say anything about throttling different areas at different levels based on usage.

I said that the days of unlimited would end awhile back, maybe 2 years ago. In the next year or 2 I would not be surprised if they simply do not let people keep their "unlimited" plans when they upgrade. Everyone will be required to have a tiered plan soon.

Didn't the "unlimited" plan technically have a 5GB cap that was just never enforced?

I went over 5 GB all the time and never had issues. Thing is for the people who have unlimited now, AT&T can't force them off so they try all of these BS tactics and people will move themselves off of it. We shall see how it shakes out.

As I've stated before....if you want to throttle unlimited plans, fine...whatever. But at least throttle it after hitting the lowest available tiered plan. Make it even....3 gigs.

I could not agree more. In fact it's the only thing they could do that makes sense. Like people have said, if nobody uses 3GB's why did AT&T create the plan?

audit

Feb 25, 2009
Visit site
My wife and I are still on the unlimited plan and both use WiFi 90% of the time. Since I got my iPad, I'm rarely using my iPhone for checking emails when at home or doing anything else that I mainly did on my 4GS. Even at the office I'm on WiFi on both devices but don't really do much web surfing or anything data intensive on either of them right now. My 4GS is jailbroken so I could tether in case I really needed to.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I went over 5 GB all the time and never had issues. Thing is for the people who have unlimited now, AT&T can't force them off so they try all of these BS tactics and people will move themselves off of it. We shall see how it shakes out.

I could not agree more. In fact it's the only thing they could do that makes sense. Like people have said, if nobody uses 3GB's why did AT&T create the plan?

You guys are right, it doesn't make sense. AT&T wants everyone off that unlimited plan. The network can no longer handle it now that so many people have smart phones. In a year or 2 I know they will stop letting you keep it if you want a subsidized upgrade. It's going to happen.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
You guys are right, it doesn't make sense. AT&T wants everyone off that unlimited plan. The network can no longer handle it now that so many people have smart phones. In a year or 2 I know they will stop letting you keep it if you want a subsidized upgrade. It's going to happen.

So somebody would be grandfathered but can't get subsidized? Then its really not grandfathered. Does not make any sense. I don't think they will go that route. Just continue to throttle people to get them off.

applejosh

Sep 26, 2009
Visit site
So somebody would be grandfathered but can't get subsidized? Then its really not grandfathered. Does not make any sense. I don't think they will go that route. Just continue to throttle people to get them off.

I think we've established that AT&T does things that don't always make sense.

I kind of agree that eventually the unlimited plans will be dropped completely. New contracts will require a tiered data plan (and since buying a subsidized phone requires a new contract, it's easier to forcibly move users). I don't think AT&T said they would grandfather things forever, did they? I thought it was always said for now or for a while or some other vague timeframe. I hope that they don't take the heavy handed approach of moving people to a tiered plan as soon as the contract is up, and I haven't read the contract in that detail yet, but I wonder if that is even an option for them. No contract, no limits on how they can stick it to you? I don't know. I've kind of lost any remaining, fleeting thoughts that they would behave in an ethical, consumer friendly manner.

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I think we've established that AT&T does things that don't always make sense.

I kind of agree that eventually the unlimited plans will be dropped completely. New contracts will require a tiered data plan (and since buying a subsidized phone requires a new contract, it's easier to forcibly move users). I don't think AT&T said they would grandfather things forever, did they? I thought it was always said for now or for a while or some other vague timeframe. I hope that they don't take the heavy handed approach of moving people to a tiered plan as soon as the contract is up, and I haven't read the contract in that detail yet, but I wonder if that is even an option for them. No contract, no limits on how they can stick it to you? I don't know. I've kind of lost any remaining, fleeting thoughts that they would behave in an ethical, consumer friendly manner.

If they did this, and that's a big IF, it would be pretty easy to get them to still give it to you. Just threaten to go to another carrier and chances are they would assist you. I'm sure this may not work in every particular case but more than likely a majority.