Are carriers slowing data speeds for All unlimited users?

Jimbos Jumbos

Jan 22, 2010
Visit site
My brother is on AT&T with unlimited data. He got the text saying he is in the top 5%. The text said his speeds will be throttled until the next billing cycle. He ran a speed test 3 times and averaged around 2mp. So I ran a test also ( I am also unlimited and just started my billing cycle. I haven't been over 1GB in months). My speed was also around 2mb. I ran the test again today several times in different locations. None of the tests were over 2mb

I then looked at my history on the tests. Before September, my speeds were consistently between 4-6 mbs. Since September, I have not had a single test over 2mbs

Anyone else with an unlimited plan getting speeds over 2mbs?

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Here's mine (iPhone 4s iOS 5.0.1/ AT&T)
a693635d-b743-c0ab.jpg

Last edited:

oklanole

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
You really might be on to something. There are a few (5-6) unlimited users including myself at work. About three weeks ago all of a sudden our phones have become slugs at work. Words with friends takes two plus minutes to send a move 70% of the time. Apps like Facebook and twitter will just sit and spin. Voice of course is no problem. Before this we had no problems using data.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
You really might be on to something. There are a few (5-6) unlimited users including myself at work. About three weeks ago all of a sudden our phones have become slugs at work. Words with friends takes two plus minutes to send a move 70% of the time. Apps like Facebook and twitter will just sit and spin. Voice of course is no problem. Before this we had no problems using data.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

THIS! I'd hoped for better reception at work with the better antenna, but it's unusable! The speeds I posted were at home though, which is pretty crappy compared to what the advertised speeds should be. As soon as I hit wifi, my phone blows up. Oh, and this has been since early Oct...

Last edited:

Lodingi

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Interesting thread. What carrier is everyone using? I have an LTE phone on Verizon. I am ditching it for a 4s in about 2 weeks. I thought I had read some time ago an article stating Verizon would start throttling all 3G data customers. This was their way of forcing all upgrades to LTE devices. Unlimited data plans on LTE would not be affected. I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot by purchasing an iPhone.

Last edited:

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I am with AT&T on a grandfathered unlimited data plan, they have not slowed me down at all as I am not even close to what they consider their top 5% data users.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk.

joe_fresh

Trusted Member
Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Here is something to think about.. How many smart phone users are out there compared to a year ago? Look at what phones your carrier is selling, not many options for dumb phones anymore is there. Everywhere you go you see a droid bb or iPhone. The bandwidth is getting used more than before.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73