Does anyone else find it endlessly irritating when VZW reps (esp indirect)...

Chris4434

May 29, 2009
Visit site
...try to sell you nothing but Android phones when you go in for an upgrade/new line? Every time I've been in one of Verizon's stores in the past and recently it seems like they will say anything to get you to buy a Droid instead of an iPhone, BlackBerry, WP7, ect. I swear it's like Verizon has brainwashed their reps to believe that Android is the be all end all of operating systems and it's def. not. Not all of us fall for your sales tactics to make YOU more money and not give the customer what they truly want/need. I haven't noticed this at AT&T or Sprint stores so it must be something VZW trains their employees to do and it's very annoying.

I was just curious if anyone else has experienced this at their local Verizon store.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I had VZW reps look at me and my wife like pariahs when we said we were more interested in the iPhone than the latest 4G android phone.

VZW rep "But it's 4G and we just got 4G in this area"
Me "I don't want android, and it's not really 4G."
VZW rep "But it's faster than 3G."
Me "I was just playing on that one and it didn't seem faster..."
VZW rep "You need 4G!"

I was in sales for years. You never tell a customer they 'need' something they clearly don't want. Don't turn a hard sell into no sale at all.

anon62607

Oct 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it's because the sales reps are android fans personally, but also because Verizon can fit a lot more data users in an LTE sector than they can in an EVDO Rev A sector. If you have to serve 1000 customers per tower, you want as many of them on LTE as you can get.

Freegoo

Jun 29, 2009
Visit site
My hunch is Verizon has a higher profit margin and is able to eeek out even more with the bloatware that gets installed on Android. So of course the company is going to encourage Android purchases. Just a wild ass guess though.

moonoverparma00

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
I was just at a Verizon store yesterday. The reps couldn't care any less about the iPhone or any other phone right now other than android. I had two android phones and I'm so glad right now to have an iPhone.

LSglock89

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
The guy at my Verizon store didn't try to talk me out of buying the iPhone 4.

I remember when I went in, I told the rep exactly what I wanted. He said "You seem set on that, so I won't try and pitch Droids to you."

Now he was a very nice guy, even found me a way to save some money on my monthly bill (and yes he had a Droid), but it does seem like that is their goal.

Funny enough, he was setting up my phone and he said, "the touchscreen on this is very nice."

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I know that this is a vzw thread but my AT&T rep (who btw had an iPhone 4) tried his best to talk me out of the iPhone 4 last year. I asked him why he had one and he changed the subject. ;) I'm sure there's a higher profit margin on other platforms due to Apple fixing their prices and they DO work on commission.

gmz73

Sep 24, 2010
Visit site
I went into a VZW store on Sunday to pick up a case for my mothers non smartphone as a x-mas gift. I agree they do push android, when I got my daughter an iPhone they wanted to know why I wanted it...specifics. The rep even asked "do you want just because it is the iPhone?". Funny I saw four reps with iPhones on their belts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaPhoneking

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if they get higher commission for pushing Android, and if they do I wouldn't be surprised. However, some indirect retailers don't have a choice BUT to push Android. When I worked in the Costco kiosk that's all we had smartphone wise, with the exception of a Blackberry or two. Most indirect retailers (especially Costco/Wireless Advocates), dont' sell iPhones due to issues with Apple.

Last edited:

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if they get higher commission for pushing Android....

They don't.... Verizon reps that have been employed any time before Verizon got the iPhone4 were heavily trained to sell against Apple - and you can't teach old dogs new tricks. It will take time for Verizon's culture to change, and for the reps themselves to get their hands on iPhones on their personal accounts.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
They don't.... Verizon reps that have been employed any time before Verizon got the iPhone4 were heavily trained to sell against Apple - and you can't teach old dogs new tricks. It will take time for Verizon's culture to change, and for the reps themselves to get their hands on iPhones on their personal accounts.

Verizon employees can't have the iPhone for their personal accounts??

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Verizon employees can't have the iPhone for their personal accounts??

I believe they can now.... I do know they were not able to at launch and for some time after... which is usually the case on major device launches. Until Verizon got the iPhone4, their whole culture was built around selling against AT&T ant the iPhone - that culture is still alive and well.

imwjl

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
Very different experience here.

My work has me dealing with Verizon and Verizon competitors. Verizon reps are usually less irritating because they're trained well and can sell both of phone and network superior to their competition.

Sure a rep can have a favorite and let you know that with a presentation or tact that can vary. That includes my Android fan users not liking a rep who loves his iPhone and shows features or somebody who only wants a car charger being given the sell for LTE.

I may be less irritated because I also realize the sales people are people just like us trying their best to make it in the world and also make the sales that help support everybody else in the company.

MECM

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I believe they can now.... I do know they were not able to at launch and for some time after... which is usually the case on major device launches. Until Verizon got the iPhone4, their whole culture was built around selling against AT&T ant the iPhone - that culture is still alive and well.

Do they get a huge discount? What's the reasoning, do you know?

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Do they get a huge discount? What's the reasoning, do you know?

From what I've seen on other forums, I believe VZW employees get 50% off their plans and can get new equipment yearly at the 2 year price on their personal lines. Reasoning behind embargoing newly launched phones is putting customers first.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waeriyadh