Future iOS 5.0.1 update to add 4G icon in status bar

MustangLife

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Apple and AT&T working together for a new update to add a 4G icon in the status bar. Here is a quote from the link.......

" Confirmation has been received that AT&T and Apple are indeed working together to put a 4G icon in the stats bar of AT&T iPhone 4S handsets."

Seems we know the phone is 4G capable depending on network and at&t is pushing to rollout LTE

Another note. at&t has 2 different 4G networks on the go. Probaly meaning they aren't happy with HSPA+ themselves and LTE is the route to go obviously. I think enough unhappy customers like myself have motivated at&t to get speedier speeds for the 4S and with Sprint taking money away from them this is a good plan.

Here is the link

iOS 5.0.1 For iPhone 4S On AT&T Will Enable 4G Indicator On Status Bar | Redmond Pie

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah well it is still just hspa+ which isn't very widespread. Not to mention everyone knew they are switching to lte. I also hope the update has more than just adding a 4g icon in the status bar.

Last edited:

Jellotime91

Jan 4, 2009
Visit site
God the whole 4G / not 4G debacle is so annoying. Nobody in America has a 4G phone right now. Sorry but that's the truth. So I wish people would stop going around saying certain technologies available are less 4G than others... NONE of them are 4G.

America just has such terrible 3G networks that they need "4G" marketing jargon to talk about better 3G speeds.

So in my opinion, I really couldn't care less if they put 4G in the status bar, as everyone else seems to use "4G" wherever they like anyway.

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
God the whole 4G / not 4G debacle is so annoying. Nobody in America has a 4G phone right now. Sorry but that's the truth. So I wish people would stop going around saying certain technologies available are less 4G than others... NONE of them are 4G.

America just has such terrible 3G networks that they need "4G" marketing jargon to talk about better 3G speeds.

So in my opinion, I really couldn't care less if they put 4G in the status bar, as everyone else seems to use "4G" wherever they like anyway.

According to the governing board (ITU-R) that defines the bands, no one has true 4G (source). LTE is at best 3.5G, and HSPA+ is slower than that. Sorry, but it is.

Another note. at&t has 2 different 4G networks on the go. Probaly meaning they aren't happy with HSPA+ themselves and LTE is the route to go obviously. I think enough unhappy customers like myself have motivated at&t to get speedier speeds for the 4S and with Sprint taking money away from them this is a good plan.

HSPA+ was never intended to be AT&T's 4G route. They have always planned to open up an LTE network. It's been in the works for years now, much like Verizon's. HSPA+ was only intended to upgrade the existing network and increase bandwidth while they roll out LTE.

IamHahn

Aug 26, 2011
Visit site
I really don't see Apple pandering to a single carrier, by allowing them to boaster an option no one else has, and even they are abandoning.

johndhynes

Dec 23, 2010
Visit site
Seems like we just got 3G. How long were 1G and 2G around for? The jump from 1G to 2G was a complete jump in technology from analog to digital. The others seem more incremental and arbitrary.

How about just using speeds instead of Gs? For instance, the 4S is supposed to support 14.4 Mbps on AT&T (although I don't get more than 6) and 3.1 on Verizon, so they can just boast about that, instead of worrying about Gs. The AT&T iPhone displays O or E for 2G, it could display other things based on the network, like H for HSPA, H+ for HSPA+, 1x for 1xRTT, RB for Rev. B, L for LTE, etc.

KUngFuKev

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR