To new Sprint customers...

digitalfan

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I am speaking to people who just switched from ATT or Verizon for Sprints unlimited data. We never said Sprint had the fastest network, but we dix say it is dependable. Need to make a call? Go ahead, it will work. With all the new activations not once did someone have to wait thirty minutes or longer to activate a phone -- on ATT most people did. Sprint is known for being dependable not fast. Granted, some speeds are extremely slow -- could be a lot of different reasons. I generally get around 800KBPS to 1KBPS. That's fast enough for me. Of course I am on HTC Arrive but your iPhone should he getting similar speeds. Of its not call Sprint and see if they can pin point why.

Hopefully Sprint will be able to improve speeds with this in flux of customers but guys ... Choose what you want. Ability to use your phone when you want and how you want ... Or get faster speeds and have dropped calls and be limited in what you can do.

And I wish you all luck and hope you enjoy Sprint!

cking1786

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I have Sprint and I'm happy with my service. Yet, I wouldn't go poking sleeping bears. I've had both AT&T and Verizon as carriers and they worked great as well. The area in which you live factors into how service works most often than not and seeing as how Apple now offers the iPhone on the three major carriers I'd imagine people will choose the one that best suits their area.

digitalfan

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I have Sprint and I'm happy with my service. Yet, I wouldn't go poking sleeping bears. I've had both AT&T and Verizon as carriers and they worked great as well. The area in which you live factors into how service works most often than not and seeing as how Apple now offers the iPhone on the three major carriers I'd imagine people will choose the one that best suits their area.

I totally agree. It is all about where you live. I am just tired of people downing Sprint saying the 3G service sucks when in reality, it's not horrible just not the fastest. Although I agree some reported speeds are slow, I have never actually gotten speeds as slow as some are reporting. I just wanted to let the new Sprint customers know that sure speeds may not be wicked fast but you will have a phone when you need it, and sometimes thats what counts.

cking1786

Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
I'm with you. I think Sprint gets bashed just because they've fallen behind due to lackluster equipment until now. I mean, I had the EVO which WAS their premier phone and it pails in comparison to what they currently have. I think with Sprint it's all about mistaken perception. I believe their service is definitely on par with AT&T and not far behind VZW.

Rocktapus

Apr 4, 2011
Visit site
I switched from t-mobile's EDGE to sprint's 3G. it's a very noticeable difference to me. i don't care too much if it were faster because it's fast enough. also...the unlimited data plans looked much more appetizing. that's the main reason I chose sprint. :]

sj-performance

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've had sprint since they bought Nextel. I love their service here in Miami. I have a family plan with 2 blackberrys and now 1 iPhone 4S. I'm satisfied with 3G speeds...when im not home I'm at my office...both my blackberry 9930 and iPhone4S always connected to wifi at home and office...so I don't worry about 3G speeds.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with your statement. Sprint is far from reliable, I never know if I will be able to use my service and if I can how long it will last. Some people recieve great service but it doesn't mean they are reliable as a whole.

digitalfan

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, but I have to strongly disagree with your statement. Sprint is far from reliable, I never know if I will be able to use my service and if I can how long it will last. Some people recieve great service but it doesn't mean they are reliable as a whole.

I know plenty of people who say the same about ATT. Truth is Sprint is not huge so I totally believe there are people who shouldn't have Sprint. There are areas where it won't work. Look at their maps compared to Verizon or ATT. However, according to PCMAG Sprint is the most reliable carrier literally right above Verizon and both are way above ATT.

anon(39328)

Apr 22, 2011
Visit site
Sprint is not reliable in my area, despite their coverage map saying my area has 'best' coverage. Everyone I know who has tried sprint, including myself, have either moved on to another carrier or had to get one of those network extender boxes so they can make and receive phone calls in their homes. I do agree that your mileage may vary depending on where you live, but don't believe Sprint's coverage map for a second.

digitalfan

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I can see that. Sprint uses high frequency which means techniqelly their map would be extended farther then it should. One reason why their 4G LTE will be very good working with LightSquared. They use a lower frequency and will use Sprint towers which means the signal will double up in a lot of spots.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I know plenty of people who say the same about ATT. Truth is Sprint is not huge so I totally believe there are people who shouldn't have Sprint. There are areas where it won't work. Look at their maps compared to Verizon or ATT. However, according to PCMAG Sprint is the most reliable carrier literally right above Verizon and both are way above ATT.

Their maps have nothing to do with facts. I live in a major US city so I assumed it would be listed as full coverage but just for sh*ts and giggles I went to their website and put in my exact address and it says I am under their best coverage... lie! Not trying to be rude but someone that has just came to Sprint probably should not be making posts about how reliable their service is because you don't know what you are talking about. There are people that do recieve good reliable service where they live and that's wonderful but until you have gone on vacation or even to varying parts of your city and have had them for a few months you won't actually know how reliable their service is and you might be singing a different tune. I have had AT&T and T-Mobile and lived with 2 seperate roomates that have VZW (whose phone I had to borrow on more than one occasion) and for me personally I never had an issue with any of them. The only reason why I don't leave Sprint is because I have a large account and it would cost a small fortune to cancel all of my lines and buy new phones on another service. I have seen some improvements but not enough to classify them as reliable.

Last edited:

IndoX

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Their maps have nothing to do with facts. I live in a major US city so I assumed it would be listed as full coverage but just for sh*ts and giggles I went to their website and put in my exact address and it says I am under their best coverage... lie! Not trying to be rude but someone that has just came to Sprint probably should not be making posts about how reliable their service is because you don't know what you are talking about. Their are people that do recieve good reliable service where they live and that's wonderful but until you have gone on vacation or even to varying parts of your city and have had them for a few months you won't actually know how reliable their service is and you might be singing a different tune. I have had AT&T and T-Mobile and lived with 2 seperate roomates that have VZW (whose phone I had to borrow on more than one occasion) and for me personally I never had an issue with any of them. The only reason why I don't leave Sprint is because I have a large account and it would cost a small fortune to cancel all of my lines and buy new phones on another service. I have seen some improvements but not enough to classify them as reliable.
I have had the opposite experience. I've have sprint for over 5 years and have never once had a dropped call. Every issue I have had with sprint was either resolved or gotten an apology for the inconvenience along with an account credit. They have great customer service. Just because you have horrible service in the area you live in doesn't change the fact that they are statistically known for having the most reliable service.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had the opposite experience. I've have sprint for over 5 years and have never once had a dropped call. Every issue I have had with sprint was either resolved or gotten an apology for the inconvenience along with an account credit. They have great customer service. Just because you have horrible service in the area you live in doesn't change the fact that they are statistically known for having the most reliable service.

I clearly said it was MY experience, I also clearly said there are people that recieve relaible service. I have never seen an article saying they had the most reliable service. I have seen a few people here and there on sites like this tooting Sprints horn but that's about it. They don't play up unlimited data and no mention quality of service in all of their commericals for nothing, if what you were saying was true you would think they would mention it just like VZW and AT&T do in addition to their unlimited data. I'm not saying that everyone has these issues but I know numerous people that are on Sprint and 99% of them share my opinion but to each their own.

lennyj17

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Sprint must be reliable enough if you just upgraded to Sprint iPhone as opposed to getting a Verizon or ATT iPhone, right?

I dont understand these "My Carrier is better than your Carrier" wars that go on in ever forum.....Who cares use what's best for you....You guys are using Sprint so obviously that's what's working for you.

Reactions: spuntz82

spuntz82

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I've been with sprint for years now. I travel all over the country, and for the most part sprint works great. When I was in Wisconsin and Nevada I had some bad service but when I come back to Oklahoma my service is great. All carriers drop calls, have slow speeds etc. Sprint isn't all that bad tho. I also have at&t (used for work) and their service sucks! I'm always dropping calls, can barley get on the Internet without wifi. And customer service is garbage! I'll probably be with sprint til the end

digitalfan

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
Their maps have nothing to do with facts. I live in a major US city so I assumed it would be listed as full coverage but just for sh*ts and giggles I went to their website and put in my exact address and it says I am under their best coverage... lie! Not trying to be rude but someone that has just came to Sprint probably should not be making posts about how reliable their service is because you don't know what you are talking about. Their are people that do recieve good reliable service where they live and that's wonderful but until you have gone on vacation or even to varying parts of your city and have had them for a few months you won't actually know how reliable their service is and you might be singing a different tune. I have had AT&T and T-Mobile and lived with 2 seperate roomates that have VZW (whose phone I had to borrow on more than one occasion) and for me personally I never had an issue with any of them. The only reason why I don't leave Sprint is because I have a large account and it would cost a small fortune to cancel all of my lines and buy new phones on another service. I have seen some improvements but not enough to classify them as reliable.

I have had Sprint over ten years while moving back and forth from Kentucky and Tennessee. I have lived in the Knoxville area and Chattanooga area. Paducah, KY and Owensboro, KY. In these areas I always had great cell reception. My family also took a vacation to Canada and (in the states obviously) we had cell service the entire way. We never actually used our cell phones in Canada we were only there for a few hours looking at Niagara Falls. But in New York and all the states we were in and stayed in going from TN to Niagara Falls we had good cell service. My family mostly lives in IL and yet again, we always get goo service in that state. This is over ten years of experience with the carrier. I personally haven't used ATT and Verizon but know plenty of people who do. ATT had great service in Chattanooga and has horrible service in the Knoxville area. I had a customer the other day moving from PA to CA and her call dropped seven times. She hated ATT and told me she never gets good service. I mentioned Sprint and Verizon (saying she should switch since she had an iPhone) and she said she might go back to Sprint because she always had good service with them.

Again, I also said I know depending on where you live you may not get good service. But don't think for one moment I stay in one spot and say Sprint has been dependable. Because thats not the case.

I clearly said it was MY experience, I also clearly said there are people that recieve relaible service. I have never seen an article saying they had the most reliable service. I have seen a few people here and there on sites like this tooting Sprints horn but that's about it. They don't play up unlimited data and no mention quality of service in all of their commericals for nothing, if what you were saying was true you would think they would mention it just like VZW and AT&T do in addition to their unlimited data. I'm not saying that everyone has these issues but I know numerous people that are on Sprint and 99% of them share my opinion but to each their own.

Well now you have. A Day in the Life of 3G | PCWorld

Quote: "n Novarum's tests for us, Verizon Wireless demonstrated a good mix of speed and reliability. Across more than 20 testing locations in each of the 13 cities we tested, Verizon had an average download speed of 951 kbps. Verizon demonstrated good reliability, too; the network was available at a reasonable and uninterrupted speed in 89.8 percent of our tests.

Sprint's 3G network delivered a solid connection in 90.5 percent of our 13-city tests. Sprint's average download speed of 808 kbps across 13 cities wasn't flashy (at that speed, a 1MB file downloads in 10 seconds), but dependability is an important asset. The Sprint network performed especially well, both in speed and in reliability, in our test cities in the western part of the United States.

The AT&T network's 13-city average download speed in our tests was 812 kbps. Its average upload speed was 660 kbps. Reliability was an issue in our experience of the AT&T system: Our testers were able to make a connection at a reasonable, uninterrupted speed in only 68 percent of their tests.

Somewhat surprisingly, our testers also found that the "bars of service" readings on their phones were rarely an accurate predictor of the quality of the ensuing connection. In most places and with most wireless providers, the "bars" did little more than indicate whether the phone had access to some service or to no service."

This test is consistent with what new iPhone tests are showing. Sprint is the slowest. But at least -- in their 13 city test -- Sprint was the most reliable.With Verizon literally being right behind. And ATT being way behind. And Sprint has said in the past (this is when I actually heard about this study) that based on independent study they are the most reliable.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Sprint must be reliable enough if you just upgraded to Sprint iPhone as opposed to getting a Verizon or ATT iPhone, right?

I dont understand these "My Carrier is better than your Carrier" wars that go on in ever forum.....Who cares use what's best for you....You guys are using Sprint so obviously that's what's working for you.

If you're going to make a comment, maybe you should read the whole statement or work on your reading comprehension as I also made it perfectly clear as to why I haven't left Sprint jesus.

xlipstickandbruisesx

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
I have had Sprint over ten years while moving back and forth from Kentucky and Tennessee. I have lived in the Knoxville area and Chattanooga area. Paducah, KY and Owensboro, KY. In these areas I always had great cell reception. My family also took a vacation to Canada and (in the states obviously) we had cell service the entire way. We never actually used our cell phones in Canada we were only there for a few hours looking at Niagara Falls. But in New York and all the states we were in and stayed in going from TN to Niagara Falls we had good cell service. My family mostly lives in IL and yet again, we always get goo service in that state. This is over ten years of experience with the carrier. I personally haven't used ATT and Verizon but know plenty of people who do. ATT had great service in Chattanooga and has horrible service in the Knoxville area. I had a customer the other day moving from PA to CA and her call dropped seven times. She hated ATT and told me she never gets good service. I mentioned Sprint and Verizon (saying she should switch since she had an iPhone) and she said she might go back to Sprint because she always had good service with them.

Again, I also said I know depending on where you live you may not get good service. But don't think for one moment I stay in one spot and say Sprint has been dependable. Because thats not the case.

I will say that I misread your thread title when I first posted, I thought it said "new to sprint customers" so I had assumed you were new and there was no mention of the length of time you have had your service. When I lived in VA I did have better service so maybe Sprint should be used by people that live in areas like that and Kentucky. I do find it funny that it works better in areas like that than in places like Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Santa Monica and other areas throughout Southern California and according to Sprint.com I am under the best coverage but like I said tell that to everybody I drop calls on and when I can't use my service. I went to Sedona AZ and couldn't use my phone for the week I was there either and when I called Sprint about it when I got home all they did was tell me they were working on building new towers. I also never said one carrier is the best for everyone, I am just speaking from personal experience as someone who lives in and travels to major cities.

phonejunky

Jan 24, 2010
Visit site
I just switched to sprint an they are amazing the data isn't my Verizon but you're right it is dependable, and still fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2