wifi security

itistherabbit

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying to find out about the security of using an iphone over wifi. If you're using a laptop and the network is unsecure, can't someone browse the files on your computer? Is it the same with iphones and other smart phones? Is there a way to secure the phone from external snooping? Help Please! :confused:

anon(5335877)

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
If you're using a laptop and the network is unsecure, can't someone browse the files on your computer?

If they know what they're doing. That's what firewalls are for.

Is it the same with iphones and other smart phones?

For other smartphones, I'm not sure. For iPhone, I'm also unsure, but I think since iPhone doesn't really have a user accessible file system (aside from SSH, which some people install when they jailbreak their phones) so you might be okay. What I would be more worried about is that when you're on an unsecured wifi connection, other people can see the data you're transmitting if it isn't encrypted.

Reactions: itistherabbit

itistherabbit

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, i was assuming that any public wifi hot spot wouldn't be secured and i wouldn't dare do any mobile banking at starbucks or an airport or whatever, i was mostly just wondering if it was easy for someone to get into any files on my phone as opposed to what i transmit...thnks tho

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, i was assuming that any public wifi hot spot wouldn't be secured and i wouldn't dare do any mobile banking at starbucks or an airport or whatever, i was mostly just wondering if it was easy for someone to get into any files on my phone as opposed to what i transmit...thnks tho

IF you're using a web-based interface to a bank... they're using https, which is secure... or if you're using a bank's app - that too sets up a secure connection... you're at more of a risk handing off your credit card to a a server at a restaurant that takes it to wherever to swipe and bring back your receipt than you are banking over wifi on your iPhone.

Reactions: itistherabbit

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner