help: Verizon insurance vs Applecare

Will you pick phone Carrier insurance , Applecare ,both or none?

• Carrier insurance

Votes: 13 28.9%
  • Applecare

Votes: 24 53.3%
  • No coverage at all I will take a chance.

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • I want the most coverage. Both please

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • 3rd party coverage

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
I have a droid x and plan on upgrading to the 4s. So I am trying to decide if I want to put applecare on my new device or verizon insurance like my droid x. I pay 8.00 bucks for V insurance . I called the store and asked them the question and they didn't seem to really know. I was told insurance from verizon was 11.00 a month and applecare only covers the battery and Manufacture defects. I asked him if he read the new policy on applecare release Tuesday stating 2 incidents for any reason and only 50 dollar service few for 99.00 2 year. He wasn't aware of this and had know clue but did state verizons few is 130.00 service fee. He stated most people get both to be safe. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. :p

So what do I do if I want insurance? I want some coverage like I had with my Droid x but the cost will go up alot. help:confused:

jim1969

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Funny, I just called Verizon on this.
Verizon insurance is $10.99/month with 2 replacements per year with a $169 deductible each time.
Apple protection+ is $99 for 2 years which will give you 2 replacements in that time and a $49 deductible each time.

So if you're going to keep the phone past 2 years, Verizon will cover you. But you will pay $10.99 x 24 months and have a big deductioble.

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
Funny, I just called Verizon on this.
Verizon insurance is $10.99/month with 2 replacements per year with a $169 deductible each time.
Apple protection+ is $99 for 2 years which will give you 2 replacements in that time and a $49 deductible each time.

So if you're going to keep the phone past 2 years, Verizon will cover you. But you will pay $10.99 x 24 months and have a big deductioble.

This is why I might do Just the applecare if its including accidental coverage now and its only 50 bucks a time.

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
here is one thought i don't see mentioned. What do you do if you lose the phone!!! Apple care has added accidental damage for the phone 2 times with a $50 deductible yes. but they do not cover lost phones sprint is $8 per month no limit on incidents any longer and if i lose the phone I'm not out of pocket 600 or more to replace it. not to mention sprint will repair the phone when ever possible in store or replace damaged unrepairable phones in store with no deductible. The only time you pay is if the phone is lost or water damaged. (love apple care btw have it on my mac and iPad) but for the phone i think carrier insurance FTW!

ethor1

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
This may be a dumb question, but forgive me. This will be my first iphone purchase. If you preorder through the carrier's website do they ask you about getting applecare? Or do you have to pay for that separately on apple's website?

jd78

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
here is one thought i don't see mentioned. What do you do if you lose the phone!!! Apple care has added accidental damage for the phone 2 times with a $50 deductible yes. but they do not cover lost phones sprint is $8 per month no limit on incidents any longer and if i lose the phone I'm not out of pocket 600 or more to replace it. not to mention sprint will repair the phone when ever possible in store or replace damaged unrepairable phones in store with no deductible. The only time you pay is if the phone is lost or water damaged. (love apple care btw have it on my mac and iPad) but for the phone i think carrier insurance FTW!

I don't believe Sprint is offering TEP for the iPhone, they are going to recommend Apple Care, but I can check again.

Reactions: AnimalCrackers
Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe Sprint is offering TEP for the iPhone, they are going to recommend Apple Care, but I can check again.

Damn it, you are correct sir! I don't like that thought and didn't know it before my post. But still a valid point for VZW customers. For me I guess I will be glueing the phone to my hand so as to not lose it.

RC28

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Employee care told me they were offering TEP, but the website ordering information seems to say they are not. Hmmmmm.....

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Employee care told me they were offering TEP, but the website ordering information seems to say they are not. Hmmmmm.....

I just got off live chat with sprint and I copied
"Marlon B.: You will get Apple icare on iphone.
You: so no tep availible ?
You: i ask because apple care does not cover lost devices like sprint tep does
Marlon B.: Yes, correct.
You: ok thank you for your response"
so no TEP from sprint for iphone bummer

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Please be aware that you must buy AppleCare+ at the same time you purchase your new iPhone or you will not be able to order it later. So far none of the carriers are offering AppleCare+ only the old AppleCare (which Apple is no longer offering). I found this out after spending a hour plus with Verizon (on the phone) then my lunch hour at the local Apple Store (thank you Eve you were great) only to find out that Apple does not intend to sell AppleCare+ post sale.

So if you did a carrier pre-order and want AppleCare+ then you better cancel and place that pre-order with Apple directly.

tritan

Jan 6, 2001
Visit site
I understand that I couldn't order when I place my order with apple. I got an email one hour ago it stated if I wanted applecare to reply the email. Good news for those who want it. I am thinking of getting this and dropping the verizon insurance. If it covers anything its way better deal then verizon insurance.

ECGcrackberry

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I understand that I couldn't order when I place my order with apple. I got an email one hour ago it stated if I wanted applecare to reply the email. Good news for those who want it. I am thinking of getting this and dropping the verizon insurance. If it covers anything its way better deal then verizon insurance.
I am on Verizon. However, I ordered directly from apple because it's the only way to get AppleCare plus. The insurance component is only $30 more than regular AppleCare so it is a great deal. The one thing AppleCare doesn't cover is a lost or stolen phone. That is the risk of not going with the carrier insurance.
In 20 years of cellphone ownership I have never lost a phone. I came close once when I lived in NYC 10 years ago when I left my Kyocera smartphone in a cab but believe it or not the cabdriver sought me out and drove to my apartment building to return it.

I am somewhat careful with phones so I think the plus of AppleCare will be sufficient.
Cost/benefit seems ausiron is not necessary. If there was no AppleCare, then I would buy the carrier insurance. I currently have it on my blackberry bold and had it on all previous smartphones but I never used it. In addition, the insurance on the iphone is $4 more a month than on the blackberry.

Last edited: