Talk and Surf Finally Confirmed with the 4S on Verizon

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
The company has also revamped the antenna system, which caused so many issues in the summer of 2010. It now has two sets that it will switch between to ensure call stability. While we're on the topic of antennas, it might interest you to know that this is the first ever worldphone from Apple. Whereas before we had a GSM model for AT&T and a CDMA version for Verizon, this time Apple has a dual-mode radio for both GSM and CDMA into the same HSPA+ handset, which means you can take your iPhone with you as your roam the world.
Apple Reveals iPhone 4S for AT&T, Verizon and Sprint

Great, Verizon customers are getting talk and surf, but what about speed? AT&T gets HSPA+ but we're stuck on 1.4Mb 3G?

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
That's great even though I probably won't use it all that much. Where did you see that in the article you posted a link to? I read through it but did not see anything about talk/surf. Did I miss something?

Neutrino

Banned
Jun 7, 2009
Visit site
Where does it say that CDMA users will get Talk and Surf? That's a limitation of EVDO, not the antenna... Verizon would have to upgrade their entire network to SVDO to support it, but they're focusing on LTE (which should also support it).

http://www.tipb.com/2011/02/14/tipb-answers-verizon-iphone-limitations-cdma/

Verizon has already upgraded their network to eHPRD which is the 3G backbone LTE devices fall back to when outside 4G areas. Unless the 4S radio is identical to the current VZW iPhone, the 4S might actually operate on the SVDO network.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.191657,-77.266539
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

liquidzoo

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
Specs have been released saying it's a revA antenna. Simultaneous Voice and Data on CDMA requires a revB (SVDO) antenna.

paul-c

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Even if I had this feature, I don't imagine using it. I've only used it through wi-fi a couple times, and it's cool but not that big of a deal to me. Guess my calls are just pretty simple. I like that Verizon is focusing all their energy on the LTE network, that's the new wave.

takeshi

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
what about speed? AT&T gets HSPA+ but we're stuck on 1.4Mb 3G?
Yup. Look at Apple's track record. 3G wasn't included on the iPhone at the time (not sure which model off the top of my head) even though it was shipping on other devices at the time. Apple like to take time (for whatever reasons) to adopt new network tech.

get your facts straight ... talk and surf is not possible at the same time on a CDMA network .... end of discussion.
You might want to get yours straight. Google the HTC Thunderbolt. It's unusual but certainly possible without LTE.

Last edited:

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Thunderbolt is the only Verizon phone that will do voice/data simultaneously on the 3G network. All devices will do it on 4G LTE though.

E_Brown

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
The HTC Thunderbolt is the only Verizon phone that will do voice/data simultaneously on the 3G network. All devices will do it on 4G LTE though.

There are numerous LTE phones. Why would the Thunderbolt be the only one out right now that can do voice/data simultaneously?

0pusX

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I don't know why they only chose the Bolt to do it, but it uses SVDO to do simultaneous ***3G*** data/voice. ALL of their 4G devices will do it in the 4G network though.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73