Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Massie
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5 GM

Default Upgrade question

Hey guys, here's my situation, hopefully you can help me out

I have an iPhone 3GS (line 1) which is eligible for upgrade right now. It has an unlimited data plan.

I have another iPhone 3GS (line 2) which I purchased in April of this year, so it is not eligible for upgrade. It has a 200mb monthly plan. I want to get a new iPhone 4 on this line, and keep the number and data plan.

Let's say I upgraded line 1 to iPhone 4 and kept the unlimited data plan, then switched the SIM cards so that line 2 now has the iPhone 4.

Is this possible?

Thanks for your time!!
    iPhone Experts

Global Posts
    906 Global Posts
    iOS Version

You should be able to do that. Call CS and ask to be sure.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

You won't be able to "switch SIMs" because the iPhone 4/4S use the MicroSIM. But as BrindawithanI says, you can get where you want to go. You will need to involve Customer Service, tho.
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
    Thanked by:
    RyanR (10-04-2011)
    iPhone Beginner

Get a sim cutter, problem solved
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Cheggy View Post
    Get a sim cutter, problem solved
    You'd also need a "SIM gluer" to fix the microSIM to fit in the 3GS.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5 GM

Quote Originally Posted by Fausty82 View Post
    You won't be able to "switch SIMs" because the iPhone 4/4S use the MicroSIM. But as BrindawithanI says, you can get where you want to go. You will need to involve Customer Service, tho.
    I didn't know this! So if I go to AT&T with my situation they will be cool with it? I'm not sure if they like the whole SIM-switching thing but then again they are getting an extra $100 out of me...

Just to clear things up are there any extra fees for upgrading or just the $99 for the phone?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5 GM

I also have another question which someone may be able to answer hopefully.

OK, so let's say I upgrade line 2 to the iPhone 4 and all is well. I now have an old, activated iPhone 3GS.

Line 3 is a simple phone+text line, not a smartphone. Let's say I wanted to make put line 3 on the iPhone 3GS, but not change the plan - no data at all. Since the 3GS is activated, could I still use the phone and texting features? I would still want to use it on Wi-Fi.

Would AT&T allow this?

Thanks again for all your help, you're saving me frustration at the AT&T store
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

No go on that last part. If you want to use any kind of iPhone, they will require a data plan.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR (10-05-2011)
    Fausty82 likes this.
    iMore Genius

iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

Quote Originally Posted by Massie View Post
    No go on that last part. If you want to use any kind of iPhone, they will require a data plan.
    Yep. You MIGHT get out the door without a data plan on that line... but it's a matter of time before AT&T sees it and adds one for you.
    Thanked by:
    RyanR (10-05-2011)
    iPhone Beginner

Before you try being smart I'd advise doing some research. You can buy sim cutters and sim adapters from most decent phone accessory shops.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    4,988 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by Cheggy View Post
    Before you try being smart I'd advise doing some research. You can buy sim cutters and sim adapters from most decent phone accessory shops.
    But if AT&T allows itand I think they dowhy not just have them swap the SIMs?
    iPhone Newbie

Default Cool!

Just to reaffirm what everyone is saying to relate to my situation:

I am currently using an unlimited plan on my iPhone 4. Another line on the family plan has the iPhone 3G with the 2gb plan. The eligibility on the unlimited iPhone 4 plan isn't until February, but the 2gb 3G plan can be upgraded on release date. If I upgrade the 3G and swap SIMs with the iPhone 4, could I use the iPhone 4S with my unlimited plan still? Would they automatically drop me down to the tiered data plan due to the phone being purchased on that plan? I really want to make sure before I upgrade and risk losing my unlimited plan with my primary line.

I had also heard that there can be issues with swapping out SIMs between phones and there being complications later down the line (SIM/Micro-SIM accommodations aside)

I appreciate any and all input!
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

As far as using a line for a upgrade and putting the phone on a different line AT&T will not care at all. I've done this several times using my wife's upgrade etc. So call them or go to the store to get assistance with switching sims etc. As far as using the iPhone with out a data plan it's risky, you can take a sim from a regular phone and put it in the 3GS but the phone runs data in the background email etc. So you could end up with data charges. Also I believe the visual voicemail won't work. But good luck!

Oh also I believe unless you personally change your data(mywi drama aside) plan you will always be on unlimited data regardless of upgrades etc.
    Negative thoughts consume you! Always stay
    positive!
    Thanked by:
    RyanR (10-07-2011)
  14. Thread AuthorThread Author   #14  
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version
    5 GM

Quote Originally Posted by Ryaniswonka View Post
    Just to reaffirm what everyone is saying to relate to my situation:

I am currently using an unlimited plan on my iPhone 4. Another line on the family plan has the iPhone 3G with the 2gb plan. The eligibility on the unlimited iPhone 4 plan isn't until February, but the 2gb 3G plan can be upgraded on release date. If I upgrade the 3G and swap SIMs with the iPhone 4, could I use the iPhone 4S with my unlimited plan still? Would they automatically drop me down to the tiered data plan due to the phone being purchased on that plan? I really want to make sure before I upgrade and risk losing my unlimited plan with my primary line.

I had also heard that there can be issues with swapping out SIMs between phones and there being complications later down the line (SIM/Micro-SIM accommodations aside)

I appreciate any and all input!
    We're in a somewhat similar situation, and from what I hear in this thread, you should be OK. Obviously the only way to know for sure is to go in to an AT&T store and get it sorted out directly with someone knowledgeable.

Thanks sdakidd for the clarification. Looks like I should be good to go then - I've dropped the idea of using the 3GS without the data plan. Too much hassle and many say it isn't possible.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    337 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I switched SIMs at the Apple store, I just had to buy a new card and they copied the data from the micro. That way I got my wife's new 4 and she got my 3GS, since my line wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Next week she's getting it back, and giving the 3GS to her mother.
    iPhone Intermediate

iOS Version

WIth the SIMM cutters and adapters (make the big one smaller, and the smaller one bigger) you will be just fine. If you happen to screw up the SIMM card when cutting it, call AT&T or go to the store for another. Just tell them you lost it. Not a problem.

As for the data plan- the only way you can do that is if AT&T doesn't know it is an iPhone since all smart phones are required to have a data plan. It is, however, only a matter of time before AT&T finds out since they can easily check your iPhone ID info without you even knowing about it.