Switching from Sprint to AT&T

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I'm switching from sprint to AT&T (I understand the irony, but I have my reasons) as soon as the 5 comes out, but I am not quite sure how the process will work. My Sprint contract will be up Sep 30th, but I plan to preorder Sep 29/30th or whenever the date ends up being (of course, if preorders are not until October I'm in the clear). I know my problem boils down to only a day or two, but I want to make sure I don't get hit with a $50 ETF charge.

Basically, will sprint find out about canceling with them when I give my number to ATT in the preorder process, or does Sprint not find out until I activate the iPhone in October (assuming the latest rumors prove true)? I assume it is the latter, but just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I think you would have to sign up with at&t first and go through the normal credit check and all that and then be able to preorder. Atleast that's how I think it works since you don't have their service now.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
You won't port your number when you place the order. You'll do that after you receive your iPhone, so you'll be fine anyway.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sprint won't care if you port over your number. Just finish the contract is what they want .

Exactly! Sprint along with any other wireless carrier only cares about whether the account is paid in full. However, even if it is not, a number port will still go through.

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the help. Sounds like I should be fine on the ETF issue.

Separate question. I have researched this a good bit and have found a lot of worrying about this being the case, but I have seen conflicting stories on the outcomes. Can a new subscriber preorder 2 new iphones for a family plan? The ATT FAQs from last year make it seem like you can't do it online but can if you go into a store. I would prefer the online preorder method since I wouldn't be able to make it to a store until after work. Thanks again!

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
Thanks everyone for the help. Sounds like I should be fine on the ETF issue.

Separate question. I have researched this a good bit and have found a lot of worrying about this being the case, but I have seen conflicting stories on the outcomes. Can a new subscriber preorder 2 new iphones for a family plan? The ATT FAQs from last year make it seem like you can't do it online but can if you go into a store. I would prefer the online preorder method since I wouldn't be able to make it to a store until after work. Thanks again!

We don't know about this time. The phone hasn't even been announced yet.

Frankenstein

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I know anything could change this time. I am just trying to understand how it worked last year so that I at least have some history to plan from.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
make sure you don't disconnect you're sprint line until you have an at&T one or you'll lose the number you want to port. At least that's what i had to do when i switched to sprint. I had to keep it then they just ported it with a phone call. took about 5 minutes after i hung up with customer service.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
make sure you don't disconnect you're sprint line until you have an at&T one or you'll lose the number you want to port. At least that's what i had to do when i switched to sprint. I had to keep it then they just ported it with a phone call. took about 5 minutes after i hung up with customer service.
You are correct. There really is no need to call Sprint and tell them anything anyway. Once AT&T has all the info that they need to go forward with the port they take care of getting the number over from Sprint. Then when the number has fully ported over, the Sprint line is automatically disconnected, and a final bill should be sent out within a week or two.

9thWonder

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
i was told by Sprint that basically that as soon as you shut down the line the old number basically goes, i guess, into some pool of numbers. Basically it goes away and they can't get that number back. But as long as you still have a phone with that old number they can grab it and port it to your new carrier. Hence the instruction not to disconnect your old phone first.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods