Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50
Like Tree4Likes
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Jcharles5000's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Talking Who will be switching to Sprint for the iPhone 5 ?

    Let me know what carrier you have now and why you will or will not switch.
  2. #2  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Verizon and no I wont switch because I am grandfathered into unlimited data and not going to switch to a carrier that in my area doesn't have that great of coverage. Also I get a nice discount through my work so it brings the price down.
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Jcharles5000's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    Verizon and no I wont switch because I am grandfathered into unlimited data and not going to switch to a carrier that in my area doesn't have that great of coverage. Also I get a nice discount through my work so it brings the price down.
    Lucky you, I have AT&T and I really want the unlimited data because im always going over my 2gb of data since I'm always on-the-go and rarely find open Wifi.
  4. #4  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jcharles5000 View Post
    Lucky you, I have AT&T and I really want the unlimited data because im always going over my 2gb of data since I'm always on-the-go and rarely find open Wifi.
    That is one thing that is good about verizon is they allowed those with unlimited to keep it. Otherwise I would have switched.
  5. #5  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Don't understand why everyone is so anxious about Sprint's unlimited 3G. Its EVDO and is super slow. It has peak speeds of 2MBps and averages around 1Mbps or less. HSPA+ or LTE is the way to go. Now of course if the next iPhone includes WiMax that would be great for Sprint customers.
  6. Thread AuthorThread Author   #6  
    Jcharles5000's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Don't understand why everyone is so anxious about Sprint's unlimited 3G. Its EVDO and is super slow. It has peak speeds of 2MBps and averages around 1Mbps or less. HSPA+ or LTE is the way to go. Now of course if the next iPhone includes WiMax that would be great for Sprint customers.
    Well if what your saying is true, it doesn't affect me from switching because I don't usually get data speed faster than what you posted unless I'm on Wifi.


  7. #7  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Don't understand why everyone is so anxious about Sprint's unlimited 3G. Its EVDO and is super slow. It has peak speeds of 2MBps and averages around 1Mbps or less. HSPA+ or LTE is the way to go. Now of course if the next iPhone includes WiMax that would be great for Sprint customers.
    So other than downloading things why does it matter? I have the thunderbolt and live in an LTE area and other than loading a web page a second faster I dont download huge files so most people would not know the difference. And those on sprint have been using the slow speeds as you say already so they wouldn't know the difference.
    Last edited by redraider133; 09-04-2011 at 06:40 PM.
  8. #8  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    So other than downloading things why does it matter? I have the thunderbolt and live in an LTE area and other than loading a web page a second faster I dont download huge files so most people would not know the difference. And those on sprint have been using the slow speeds as you say already so they wouldn't know the difference.
    Well I was just saying, however, their 3G technology is EVDO which is slow in comparison to other carriers and their technology. Wish there was something in between EVDO and Sprint's WiMax, like HSPA+ on GSM carriers.
  9. #9  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Well I was just saying, however, their 3G technology is EVDO which is slow in comparison to other carriers and their technology. Wish there was something in between EVDO and Sprint's WiMax, like HSPA+ on GSM carriers.
    But that is the thing. Most people on sprint have not used the "other, faster" technology so they are not going to know the difference. And also I have a lot of friends with at&t and my verizon 3g loads just about as fast as their 3g so its not a noticeable difference between the two for the unknowing consumer.
  10. #10  
    Munky#AC's Avatar
    iMore Beginner

    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    78 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.0

    Default

    I just left Sprint in July and went back to AT&T to get the iPhone. I don't plan on EVER going back to Sprint. Horrible coverage here and aside from the iPhone (if it actually happens, I won't believe it until I see it in stores) they have horrible phone choices.
    iPhone 5 (AT&T, 32GB, Black) :: MacBook Pro (15") :: iPad (1st Generation, 64GB, WiFi; 4th Generation, 16GB, WiFi+LTE)]
  11. #11  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    But that is the thing. Most people on sprint have not used the "other, faster" technology so they are not going to know the difference. And also I have a lot of friends with at&t and my verizon 3g loads just about as fast as their 3g so its not a noticeable difference between the two for the unknowing consumer.
    Yeah you are right. I have actually seen Verizon phones load web pages faster than AT&T's. AT&T however, always pulled faster speeds via speedtest but I guess what's the point if those speeds aren't put to use when displaying web pages.

    The most important thing is that consumers will have more than one carrier to choose from when selecting their iPhone. And as far as Sprint goes, I have nothing against them. I had the EVO 3D when it came out but I needed an AIRWAVE device in order to get service in my house even though their coverage map said I was in a "Good" coverage area.

    Really looking forward on what's going to come. Wish they'd announce the stupid phone already. I don't care how long it takes, just announce it and give us details.
    Premium1 likes this.
  12. #12  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Yeah you are right. I have actually seen Verizon phones load web pages faster than AT&T's. AT&T however, always pulled faster speeds via speedtest but I guess what's the point if those speeds aren't put to use when displaying web pages.

    The most important thing is that consumers will have more than one carrier to choose from when selecting their iPhone. And as far as Sprint goes, I have nothing against them. I had the EVO 3D when it came out but I needed an AIRWAVE device in order to get service in my house even though their coverage map said I was in a "Good" coverage area.

    Really looking forward on what's going to come. Wish they'd announce the stupid phone already. I don't care how long it takes, just announce it and give us details.
    I agree and I think alot of people get caught up in the numbers game but numbers mean nothing if in real world tests they fail or dont perform how they did previously.
    Jcharles5000 likes this.
  13. #13  
    Fausty82's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,597 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1 b5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    That is one thing that is good about verizon is they allowed those with unlimited to keep it. Otherwise I would have switched.
    AT&T also allowed us to keep our unlimited data plans... if we had it to begin with...
    Curmudgeon and Former Member/Participant
    iPhone 5S / iPad Mini Retina / 15" MacBook Pro Retina
  14. #14  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HankAZ View Post
    AT&T also allowed us to keep our unlimited data plans... if we had it to begin with...
    Must be nice but its really gonna suck when they begin to throttle heavy users. I feel bad for ya guys but I know this was because so many people abused the word "unlimited." Really hope Sprint can hold onto their unlimited data plan for the life cycle of the iPhone 5.
  15. #15  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Must be nice but its really gonna suck when they begin to throttle heavy users. I feel bad for ya guys but I know this was because so many people abused the word "unlimited." Really hope Sprint can hold onto their unlimited data plan for the life cycle of the iPhone 5.
    Sprint will probably get rid of unlimited shortly after the iphone arrives. They upped the etf and took away one year contracts. They are doing similar things that Verizon did before they axed unlimited data. I don't understand, they make a killing already and other than at&ts network not being able to handle it Verizon and sprints networks are fine. Plus iphones use less data than android phones.
  16. #16  
    DreamOutLoud65's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    233 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Must be nice but its really gonna suck when they begin to throttle heavy users. I feel bad for ya guys but I know this was because so many people abused the word "unlimited." Really hope Sprint can hold onto their unlimited data plan for the life cycle of the iPhone 5.
    same here.. hope it stays. Or grandfather us folks that already have these plans prior to the release of the iphone5. Whatever happens I still will be with Sprint cuz of hubby just renewing his contract in June.. so I am kinda stuck.
  17. #17  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud65 View Post
    same here.. hope it stays. Or grandfather us folks that already have these plans prior to the release of the iphone5. Whatever happens I still will be with Sprint cuz of hubby just renewing his contract in June.. so I am kinda stuck.
    Hopefully when they release the iPhone on Sprint they will offer unlimited data to attract customers away from Verizon & AT&T. This might win a lot of people over to Sprint and especially if this will be 3G only.
  18. #18  
    DreamOutLoud65's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    233 Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MattMJB0188 View Post
    Hopefully when they release the iPhone on Sprint they will offer unlimited data to attract customers away from Verizon & AT&T. This might win a lot of people over to Sprint and especially if this will be 3G only.
    that's what I was thinking.. keeping the unlimited plan would separate them from the rest.. And would draw a lot of people over.


    So is Apple making the announcement this week right?
  19. #19  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DreamOutLoud65 View Post
    that's what I was thinking.. keeping the unlimited plan would separate them from the rest.. And would draw a lot of people over.


    So is Apple making the announcement this week right?
    Let's hope. I can't begin to tell ya how often I check MacRumors.com and here for an official announcement lol.
  20. #20  
    SeanHRCC's Avatar
    iMore Genius

    Posts
    8,897 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,899 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    Taco Bell

    Default

    Sprint has never had a data hog like the iPhone will be on their network...the days of unlimited data on ANY network carrying the iPhone is very short lived. I'm hoping that something breaks through in the next few years that causes the carriers to move away from these "data plans" and basically just realizes that the way things are going, everything is going to be over the network in this fashion anyways (including phone calls), so they'll eventually need to start becoming more attractive to customers in this way...giving us all the data we can eat for no extra cost.
    "Speed has never killed anyone; suddenly becoming stationary...that's what gets you." - Jeremy Clarkson
  21. #21  
    DreamOutLoud65's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    233 Posts

    Default

    aren't android phones (the latest ones) data hogs? So iphones are bigger data hogs? Always wondered how this is. One uses more data? Can someone explain this?
  22. #22  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SeanHRCC View Post
    Sprint has never had a data hog like the iPhone will be on their network...the days of unlimited data on ANY network carrying the iPhone is very short lived. I'm hoping that something breaks through in the next few years that causes the carriers to move away from these "data plans" and basically just realizes that the way things are going, everything is going to be over the network in this fashion anyways (including phone calls), so they'll eventually need to start becoming more attractive to customers in this way...giving us all the data we can eat for no extra cost.
    Android phones use more data than the iPhone and sprint has plenty of Android phones on their network.
  23. #23  
    MattMJB0188's Avatar
    iPhone Intermediate

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5.0.1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redraider133 View Post
    Android phones use more data than the iPhone and sprint has plenty of Android phones on their network.
    Yes this is correct. The EVO 4G was the hottest Android phone of 2010. This phone actually put Sprint back in the game. It would be very foolish for them to introduce the hottest phone then axe the unlimited data plan. However, as Redraider said, unlimited data plans will not last. I'm cool with that actually because I have WIFI everywhere.
  24. #24  
    michaelone#IM's Avatar
    iPhone Nanite

    Posts
    6 Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 5

    Default

    Sprint doesn't have the best track record regarding stupid decisions. Buying Nextel, building out Wimax and then switching to LTE and worse, announcing it in advance thereby obsoleting their current phone lineup. Why would I want to buy a Wimax phone if Sprint will be switching to LTE?
  25. #25  
    Premium1's Avatar
    iMore Elite

    Posts
    2,036 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,373 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michaelone View Post
    Sprint doesn't have the best track record regarding stupid decisions. Buying Nextel, building out Wimax and then switching to LTE and worse, announcing it in advance thereby obsoleting their current phone lineup. Why would I want to buy a Wimax phone if Sprint will be switching to LTE?
    It will most likely just be 3g anyway.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions