Who will be switching to Sprint for the iPhone 5 ?

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and no I wont switch because I am grandfathered into unlimited data and not going to switch to a carrier that in my area doesn't have that great of coverage. Also I get a nice discount through my work so it brings the price down.

Jcharles5000

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and no I wont switch because I am grandfathered into unlimited data and not going to switch to a carrier that in my area doesn't have that great of coverage. Also I get a nice discount through my work so it brings the price down.

Lucky you, I have AT&T and I really want the unlimited data because im always going over my 2gb of data since I'm always on-the-go and rarely find open Wifi.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Lucky you, I have AT&T and I really want the unlimited data because im always going over my 2gb of data since I'm always on-the-go and rarely find open Wifi.

That is one thing that is good about verizon is they allowed those with unlimited to keep it. Otherwise I would have switched.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Don't understand why everyone is so anxious about Sprint's unlimited 3G. Its EVDO and is super slow. It has peak speeds of 2MBps and averages around 1Mbps or less. HSPA+ or LTE is the way to go. Now of course if the next iPhone includes WiMax that would be great for Sprint customers.

Jcharles5000

Apr 15, 2011
Visit site
Don't understand why everyone is so anxious about Sprint's unlimited 3G. Its EVDO and is super slow. It has peak speeds of 2MBps and averages around 1Mbps or less. HSPA+ or LTE is the way to go. Now of course if the next iPhone includes WiMax that would be great for Sprint customers.

Well if what your saying is true, it doesn't affect me from switching because I don't usually get data speed faster than what you posted unless I'm on Wifi.

10d8wwg.png

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site

So other than downloading things why does it matter? I have the thunderbolt and live in an LTE area and other than loading a web page a second faster I dont download huge files so most people would not know the difference. And those on sprint have been using the slow speeds as you say already so they wouldn't know the difference.

Last edited:

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
So other than downloading things why does it matter? I have the thunderbolt and live in an LTE area and other than loading a web page a second faster I dont download huge files so most people would not know the difference. And those on sprint have been using the slow speeds as you say already so they wouldn't know the difference.

Well I was just saying, however, their 3G technology is EVDO which is slow in comparison to other carriers and their technology. Wish there was something in between EVDO and Sprint's WiMax, like HSPA+ on GSM carriers.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Well I was just saying, however, their 3G technology is EVDO which is slow in comparison to other carriers and their technology. Wish there was something in between EVDO and Sprint's WiMax, like HSPA+ on GSM carriers.

But that is the thing. Most people on sprint have not used the "other, faster" technology so they are not going to know the difference. And also I have a lot of friends with at&t and my verizon 3g loads just about as fast as their 3g so its not a noticeable difference between the two for the unknowing consumer.

Munky#AC

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
I just left Sprint in July and went back to AT&T to get the iPhone. I don't plan on EVER going back to Sprint. Horrible coverage here and aside from the iPhone (if it actually happens, I won't believe it until I see it in stores) they have horrible phone choices.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
But that is the thing. Most people on sprint have not used the "other, faster" technology so they are not going to know the difference. And also I have a lot of friends with at&t and my verizon 3g loads just about as fast as their 3g so its not a noticeable difference between the two for the unknowing consumer.

Yeah you are right. I have actually seen Verizon phones load web pages faster than AT&T's. AT&T however, always pulled faster speeds via speedtest but I guess what's the point if those speeds aren't put to use when displaying web pages.

The most important thing is that consumers will have more than one carrier to choose from when selecting their iPhone. And as far as Sprint goes, I have nothing against them. I had the EVO 3D when it came out but I needed an AIRWAVE device in order to get service in my house even though their coverage map said I was in a "Good" coverage area.

Really looking forward on what's going to come. Wish they'd announce the stupid phone already. I don't care how long it takes, just announce it and give us details.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Yeah you are right. I have actually seen Verizon phones load web pages faster than AT&T's. AT&T however, always pulled faster speeds via speedtest but I guess what's the point if those speeds aren't put to use when displaying web pages.

The most important thing is that consumers will have more than one carrier to choose from when selecting their iPhone. And as far as Sprint goes, I have nothing against them. I had the EVO 3D when it came out but I needed an AIRWAVE device in order to get service in my house even though their coverage map said I was in a "Good" coverage area.

Really looking forward on what's going to come. Wish they'd announce the stupid phone already. I don't care how long it takes, just announce it and give us details.

I agree and I think alot of people get caught up in the numbers game but numbers mean nothing if in real world tests they fail or dont perform how they did previously.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
AT&T also allowed us to keep our unlimited data plans... if we had it to begin with...

Must be nice but its really gonna suck when they begin to throttle heavy users. I feel bad for ya guys but I know this was because so many people abused the word "unlimited." Really hope Sprint can hold onto their unlimited data plan for the life cycle of the iPhone 5.

Premium1

Trusted Member
Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
Must be nice but its really gonna suck when they begin to throttle heavy users. I feel bad for ya guys but I know this was because so many people abused the word "unlimited." Really hope Sprint can hold onto their unlimited data plan for the life cycle of the iPhone 5.

Sprint will probably get rid of unlimited shortly after the iphone arrives. They upped the etf and took away one year contracts. They are doing similar things that Verizon did before they axed unlimited data. I don't understand, they make a killing already and other than at&ts network not being able to handle it Verizon and sprints networks are fine. Plus iphones use less data than android phones.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site

same here.. hope it stays. Or grandfather us folks that already have these plans prior to the release of the iphone5. Whatever happens I still will be with Sprint cuz of hubby just renewing his contract in June.. so I am kinda stuck.

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
same here.. hope it stays. Or grandfather us folks that already have these plans prior to the release of the iphone5. Whatever happens I still will be with Sprint cuz of hubby just renewing his contract in June.. so I am kinda stuck.

Hopefully when they release the iPhone on Sprint they will offer unlimited data to attract customers away from Verizon & AT&T. This might win a lot of people over to Sprint and especially if this will be 3G only.

DreamOutLoud65

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Hopefully when they release the iPhone on Sprint they will offer unlimited data to attract customers away from Verizon & AT&T. This might win a lot of people over to Sprint and especially if this will be 3G only.

that's what I was thinking.. keeping the unlimited plan would separate them from the rest.. And would draw a lot of people over.

So is Apple making the announcement this week right?

MattMJB0188

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
that's what I was thinking.. keeping the unlimited plan would separate them from the rest.. And would draw a lot of people over.

So is Apple making the announcement this week right?

Let's hope. I can't begin to tell ya how often I check MacRumors.com and here for an official announcement lol.

anon(4698833)

Banned
Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sprint has never had a data hog like the iPhone will be on their network...the days of unlimited data on ANY network carrying the iPhone is very short lived. I'm hoping that something breaks through in the next few years that causes the carriers to move away from these "data plans" and basically just realizes that the way things are going, everything is going to be over the network in this fashion anyways (including phone calls), so they'll eventually need to start becoming more attractive to customers in this way...giving us all the data we can eat for no extra cost.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro