Cancelling account

Jtshurtleff

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
I want to buy an iPhone but I want to pay $150 at walmart and then immediately cancel the account. My question then is what will happen if I buy a phone then cancel the line immediately. Will they be mad and cause trouble?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
To get that price you have to keep the service active on the line you activate if you cancel they will charge you a 350 termination fee as well as the full retail price of the iPhone prob like 600 if your luck they will minus the 150 u already paid so you do that you will buy a 950 iPhone

Rodville

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Not to mention that if you buy one and cancel they will blacklist the MEID and it will be useless as a cell phone.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I want to buy an iPhone but I want to pay $150 at walmart and then immediately cancel the account. My question then is what will happen if I buy a phone then cancel the line immediately. Will they be mad and cause trouble?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

Bottom line: Don't.

WalMart is an authorized agent for Verizon, and you'll be liable for Verizons customary ETF plus the one for WalMart's Agent Dealer. You could wind up in a world of screwed.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
But, in spite of all of the repercussions, NO, they won't be mad... but they WILL get their money, one way or another. Would not be the best move you ever made...

osensnolf

Jun 17, 2009
Visit site
You are willing to ruin your dignity for $150?

As the others said, don't do it. You may escape paying the cash, but it will be filed against your credit report and cause much more trouble than it is worth.

Buy a used phone.

May 31, 2011
Visit site
what the OP is referring to doing is what I called the "best buy mobile" scam. There was a certain point in time, and maybe people still do it, where people go to a place like best buy or walmart, start a new line of service, then call Verizon/att/whichever carrier, and claim to have cancelled service and returned the equipment. The actual carrier doesn't know whether or not you have actually returned anything, since the big box stores use a different computer system. So then the carrier cancels the contract in the required time frame.

To my knowledge...best buy and walmart are both on to these things now, along with the carriers. So I would definitely NOT do this.

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
It almost sounds like fraud. Certainly it crosses a moral line, at least the Kayla explains it! I strongly advise against doing this!

markhunsaker

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
It is fraud.

But if you want to keep the device, you have to have service for more than whatever the return period is (14 days). After that point if you cancel, you can keep the equipment for the price of whatever you paid plus the ETF.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I don't blame them for wanting to... verizon screws people a lot with all their fees, not that there's any other option

Nobody put a gun to anyone's head and made them sign the contract.

I'm not a huge fan of the wireless providers, but if you want a cell phone, you have to deal with them. Same as cable or satellite TV, the electric company, etc. Just because they have rules doesn't give anyone the right to try to steal from them. Period.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR