How Verizon Will Compete with AT&T's iPhone 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I think we all agree iPhones are better on GSM. I was wondering if anyone knew how Verizon is planning to compete with AT&T's iPhone 5 with theirs?

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
I think we all agree iPhones are better on GSM. I was wondering if anyone knew how Verizon is planning to compete with AT&T's iPhone 5 with theirs?

Bold statement I am Verizon all the way I'm more pro Verizon than pro apple I love apple but no point if I got No signal gsm may have talk and surf and what not but so does Verizon's 4g and when iPhone is 4g what will att say then ? I say at most right now there comparable but at least where I live I laugh watching the people with att stand right next to me with barley a signal and they ask what about you ? Yup you guessed it full bars lol

On the flip side you can unlock gsm and use on diff carriers so that's a plus but Verizon 4g takes sim cards now too so makes you wonder you will prob be able to unlock versions also.

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Bold statement I am Verizon all the way I'm more pro Verizon than pro apple I love apple but no point if I got No signal gsm may have talk and surf and what not but so does Verizon's 4g and when iPhone is 4g what will att say then ? I say at most right now there comparable but at least where I live I laugh watching the people with att stand right next to me with barley a signal and they ask what about you ? Yup you guessed it full bars lol

On the flip side you can unlock gsm and use on diff carriers so that's a plus but Verizon 4g takes sim cards now too so makes you wonder you will prob be able to unlock versions also.

Isn't what you're saying about Verizon's iPhone 5 all speculation?

Rusty Shackelford#IM

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Really?! How is it going to compete? How about we start with a solid network? Obviously it can vary based on your location and preference, but as someone who went from a 3G to a 3GS to a 4 on AT&T, I couldn't have left fast enough. I have had the iPhone 4 on both networks and from my personal experience and where I travel there is no comparison.

To your question I pose another. How does AT&T currently compete with Verizon in the areas it sucks? Answer: the same way Verizon competes with AT&T in the areas they suck.

Just like those that have started this argument a million times on these and other forums, you have started an argument that can not be won as the answer is solely dependent on coverage in your area.

Once Verizon has an iPhone running on their LTE network and can play the simultaneous data and talk, what will the AT&T fanboys argue next?

I now leave this question/argument where it was when it started, pointless and un-winnable.

Shackelford out.

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
I think we all agree iPhones are better on GSM

No, we don't.

The talk & surf argument is moot, because anyone who is a Verizon customer that truly has a need to talk and use data at the same time on the cellular network has a data solution that does not involve their phone. I've been there, done that.

Last edited:

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
i live in New York, where all carriers have impecable service, so the service is not an issue for me. It's how the phones work. And if the service is not an issue and the iPhone 4 has more to offer on AT&T as the phone itself is concerned, it's just better in NY. Now, one might say 'just switch to AT&T', but that's not an option for me. I just wanna know what Verizon plans on doing to play on the same field with AT&T's iphone. Just the phone itself

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I've used both VZW and at&t and in my area they are completely equal as far as coverage. Well, except in the elevators at work. Almost every VZW customer loses their call and I don't... ;)

For me, at&t wins, not because of talk and surf, but because I get to use my unused minutes. Otherwise, it's 50/50 and an iPhone is an iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DannyMichel

riley9dy

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site

Well obviously everything he and everyone else are saying about the iphone 5 is just speculation because it hasn't been released yet... For all we know(the general public) apple might not even have started making it yet. We won't know anything for sure until it gets released.

Fausty82

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I'm on AT&T and love both the iPhone and the AT&T service. My son and 2 daughters and one daughter-in-law have iPhones on VZW. They are very happy, too. The issue is "how's the provider's service where you use it" issue. Internally the phones are different, but functionally they are very similar. The biggest issue is concurrent voice/data on GSM. But that is not an issue to everyone. As with most things, YMMV.

All of that said, I agree with the others... you cannot make a blanket statement like "everyone knows it's better on GSM" stick, no matter how you spin it.

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i live in New York, where all carriers have impecable service, so the service is not an issue for me. It's how the phones work. And if the service is not an issue and the iPhone 4 has more to offer on AT&T as the phone itself is concerned, it's just better in NY. Now, one might say 'just switch to AT&T', but that's not an option for me. I just wanna know what Verizon plans on doing to play on the same field with AT&T's iphone. Just the phone itself

What does att iPhone 4 offer that Verizon's don't ? Throwing service out say put them in imaginary airplane mode.. :)

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site

All I was saying sorry If I wasn't clear is verizon current lte runs on sims cards now too .. That's not speculation .. So when iPhone does go Lte talk and web and etc will be possible too current Verizon 4g andriods can do it just sayin

DannyMichel

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
All I was saying sorry If I wasn't clear is verizon current lte runs on sims cards now too .. That's not speculation .. So when iPhone does go Lte talk and web and etc will be possible too current Verizon 4g andriods can do it just sayin

thanks for the actual on-topic answer

Peligro911

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
that's what. i understand that those two things are technically part of 'service', but that's what

Maybe I'm just not popular enough but never needed this even if I was able to do it lol that's more of a gsm vs CDMA plus than a gsm iPhone is better that Verizon iPhone plus

BrindawithanI

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the actual on-topic answer

What were you looking for that isn't covered on all the at&t vs vzw threads? It's the same phone so you had to expect flack from the vzw fans. It's kind of like asking what belkin plans to do to compete with linksys for wifi on an iPod. It all comes down to preference and service. If at&t service sucks in an area, vzw wins and vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.