New Verizon data caps

t_williams9476

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Soooo, according to what I just read on the TiPb homepage, since I'm already a Verizon customer, when I upgrade my iPhone in 2 years, I will be able to keep my unlimited data plan. I'm going to be in Europe from Aug. 2012-May 2013, so I won't need it then, but when I get back, I'm planning on upgrading to HOPEFULLY the iPhone 7 (if it's out by then). Am I correct in my thinking that I will be able to keep my current unlimited data plan? Thanks!

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
No one knows for sure what Verizon is going to do in the future with customers who are still on the unlimited data plans. However, it is my understanding that current customers will be allowed to keep their unlimited plan as long as the account remains open and in good standing.

Link

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
July 7th the new plans go in effect with 2gb for $30, 5gb for $50, 10 gb for $80. I thought the idea of tiered data plans was to offer cheaper options like maybe a $20 for 1gb plan to avoid the required $29.99 data plan?? Apparently not. This makes Verizon higher priced that AT&T.

Customers with unlimited data will be grandfathered in. The tablet data pricing is changing too with 2gb for $30, eliminating the $20 for 1gb and $35 for 3gb plans. I assume if customers are already on those plans they may keep them.

dcsr23#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
As long as you don't turn off your phone line for data. I believe you could suspend the account for a time frame (still have to pay monthly to hold the line) but if you say switch to a dumb phone, and then come back expecting to have unlimited, you will not.

mtcowdog

Apr 29, 2011
Visit site
Although it is nice to keep unlimited data as a longtime Verizon customer, I have no doubt Verizon will pull that rug from the table eventually. That's the Verizon way.

BTW, I don't have an issue with tiered data plans; I do have an issue where the cheapest one is the same as the former unlimited. Wait till LTE. People will use gigabytes of data just turning on their phones. $$$$$ in Verizon's pocket, and we're stuck for 2 year contracts.

boomhower1820

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
No one knows what they are going to do in two years. The unlimited gravy train will stop at some point. I have two guesses. The first is when the iPhone gets LTE, they will force data plan upgrades. The second, and more likely IMHO, is when voice over LTE comes online. I think they completely revamp the plans and force upgrades across the board as contracts run out you have have to get a VoLTE phone and new plan with it, conveniently unlimited data will not be a part of those plans. Just my $.02, take it for what it's worth.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Although it is nice to keep unlimited data as a longtime Verizon customer, I have no doubt Verizon will pull that rug from the table eventually. That's the Verizon way.

BTW, I don't have an issue with tiered data plans; I do have an issue where the cheapest one is the same as the former unlimited. Wait till LTE. People will use gigabytes of data just turning on their phones. $$$$$ in Verizon's pocket, and we're stuck for 2 year contracts.

Verizon has already said that once a customer switches over to their LTE service, they will have to change over to one of their LTE data plans. That means all of the current Verizon iPhone 4 users will be switched over anyway once Verizon gets a LTE iPhone on their network.

CG68

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

I totally agree with you on the cheapest plan being the same as the unlimited one especially when AT&T charges $5 less for the same plan!

Johnny Alien

Jul 3, 2011
Visit site
Verizon has already said that once a customer switches over to their LTE service, they will have to change over to one of their LTE data plans. That means all of the current Verizon iPhone 4 users will be switched over anyway once Verizon gets a LTE iPhone on their network.
This is actually incorrect. Verizon reps and material have confirmed that you can keep the same unlimited service and price when you move to LTE. The pricing structure is the same so those grandfathered in will get unlimited LTE.

Eileen89

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This is actually incorrect. Verizon reps and material have confirmed that you can keep the same unlimited service and price when you move to LTE. The pricing structure is the same so those grandfathered in will get unlimited LTE.

Where are these materials that you speak of? It was a Verizon rep in a Corp store who also said that the unlimited data plan would not carry over to LTE. Maybe what you said here is a recent change, which is why I ask to see Verizon's written policy on this...

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk.

Last edited:

itistherabbit

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Supposedly, if you upgrade to LTE you keep your unlimited plan and they don't throttle you when you go over 2GB, which is easy to do. I hover around 2gb with music streaming and youtube watching. Imagine all the peeps who have netflix or crackle or vcast...

iphone_guy

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
As long as you have an unlimited plan, they should allow you to keep it. The issue is, SOMETIMES in the past, Verizon had a grandfathered plan it allowed folks to be on, BUT in order to upgrade to a new phone, you were forced to get a new plan. Now, since it's a data feature and NOT the voice plan, generally it will stay there until you change it, but if you do, or someone makes a mistake, the chances of getting it back are very slim!

oh and I am on day 16 of my bill cycle, and have over 3500mb use (hulu plus, youtube, pandora) mainly...

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods