Moving to the US with an Unlocked iPhone 4

Questionmark

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey all,

I hope someone can help me with this. I'm moving to the US for school from Canada. I've been with Rogers for a few years now and I have been able to work in a pretty decent voice/data/text plan with them, and I'm hoping I can get something similar to this in the States. I have a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

Now I know that I my only choice (when it comes to 3G) is AT&T since it's the only GSM company with the frequency for the iPhone 4. However, I've been looking at the plans and to be honest, they are so expensive. I thought I was getting destroyed by Rogers' plans, but I have to admit that 6GB/$30 is MUCH MUCH better than 2GB/$25 or even 4GB/$45. T-Mobile has great plans, but the only problem is that my iPhone would be stuck in EDGE, rendering it nearly useless when it comes to me using that data.

What should I do? I don't feel like getting rid of my phone since the iPhone 4 is the best phone I've ever had, but I don't feel like paying over $100/month even on the the more modest 2GB data plan.

Are there any deals that are out there or any other ideas I can use to decrease the price of the plan?

I will be coming into AT&T with a phone already so can I use that as leverage to get a better deal? Even if it means not going on a 2 year contract?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
Comng in with a phone doesnt give you leverage. They cant lock you into a 2 year contract. If you want 3G data, you will have to go with At&t and pay it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
You may be able to get a student discount through your school from AT&T but that's it.

Like everyone said, AT&T is the only option you have if you want 3G data service. You are not buying a car here, there are no deals. Take it or leave it.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73