Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Newbie

18 Posts

Default AT&T contract question

I currently have two lines on sprint, and we are planning on switching those lines to iPhones on AT&T once our contract expires or the new iPhone comes out. But if we got two old iPhones (probably 3GS's) from friends and signed up with AT&T, would we be able to get service for the phones without signing a contract and be able to upgrade for the new customer price once the new iPhone comes out? If we could do this, we would probably switch right now. Thanks!
    iMore Intermediate

348 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,707 Global Posts

I am pretty sure you would have to sign a contract, the AT&T rep at my local store told me you cannot do a smartphone on a month to month plan only on contract. But I would call AT&T and see, whats the worst they could say?
    iMore Pro

623 Posts
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts

You need at least one contract line to do this. I have a 3GS on contract, and was able to add a non-contract second line on a Family Shared plan with an old 3G I had laying around for my girlfriend. Easy to do, in and out in 20 min.