Verizon CEO Says Apple LTE Products On the Way

kch50428

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
From the Wall St. Journal via Phonescoop.

Verizon CEO Says Apple LTE Products On the Way (Phone Scoop)

Speaking with the Wall Street Journal, Verizon Wireless CEO Dan Mead indicated that Apple will eventually offer mobile products that can use Verizon's Long Term Evolution 4G network. He said, "You'll see more coming from Apple on LTE. They understand the value proposition of LTE and I feel very confident that they are going to be a part of it." Mead didn't speak about any specific products, nor did he provide a timeframe for their release. Apple COO Tim Cook recently defended the Verizon iPhone 4's lack of LTE by saying that including LTE would have led to design compromises for the iPhone 4 that Apple wasn't willing to make at the time.

My prediction: if the rumored iPhone5 is not a "global iphone' that will work on Verizon's network, the next iPhone on Verizon will be an LTE device, and will be out in about 20 months... when all the iPhone4 folks that just got one will be eligible to upgrade again, and Verizon will have LTE deployed :)

ghostface147

Oct 1, 2009
Visit site
I still hold firm that LTE is in 2012 once Verizon has better overall coverage and ATT does the same. Hell maybe even by then Sprint will be doing something with LTE, especially since they have spectrum.

Garz

Retired Moderator
Mar 9, 2009
Visit site
I still hold firm that LTE is in 2012 once Verizon has better overall coverage and ATT does the same. Hell maybe even by then Sprint will be doing something with LTE, especially since they have spectrum.

I agree. i think it will come on the 6th generation

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
2012 release for LTE sounds about right. Verizon has started it's rollout but according to its website is only in 40 cities and won't have "National Coverage" until 2013. AT&T is working on their LTE rollout, but that doesn't even BEGIN until "mid-2011".

ZOFOURTWENTY

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
This is why I got the Vz iPhone now too - from what I understand, LTE won't be available in my area for about 20 months :)

I heard that in the major cities it's only available at the airports and of course there is no way to test it out as I don't know anyone who has an LTE phone or what is going to be the 1st LTE phone, I've been caught up in my own iPhone world :D

Martog

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I heard that in the major cities it's only available at the airports and of course there is no way to test it out as I don't know anyone who has an LTE phone or what is going to be the 1st LTE phone, I've been caught up in my own iPhone world :D

There's four Android handsets slated for release this year that are LTE devices. Hopefully LTE doesn't suck much more power than 3G, the poor Android handsets probably can't take it, especially with several moving to dual core CPU's in them.

moneymike47

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
I think they are waiting to release an iPhone that is 4G capable, once 4G is available in MOST of the US like 3G is. Right now, 4G is only available really in big cities.

golfnut

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
This not news...ip4 is the phone to buy now, as others have posted. The next significant upgrade won't be til '12 or later.
Getting mine soon as I can..

iTreHayes

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone will not have LTE this year. Don't believe anything Verizon says. Of course LTE iPhones are going to happen.

Why not believe what Verizon has to say? I they wouldn't make an announcement about Apple and LTE if it was more than a years time away. Note everyone also said the iPhone wouldn't be going to Verizon until 2012 too, as usual I wont believe anything until Cook or Jobs gets on stage with the product in hand.

ChrisGonzales90

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Why not believe what Verizon has to say? I they wouldn't make an announcement about Apple and LTE if it was more than a years time away. Note everyone also said the iPhone wouldn't be going to Verizon until 2012 too, as usual I wont believe anything until Cook or Jobs gets on stage with the product in hand.

or gizmodo.

I'll believe something regardless if jobs or what ever has it in hand. As for this, we know they won't do it for years.