AT&T vs. Verizon Throughput/Speed

tfalsetta#IM

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
I would like to start a thread to compare the throughput/performance of the AT&T 3G compared to Verizon 3G on the Iphone

The utility I use is downloadable from the app store called speedtest (by Xtreme). It is a free app. It tests download and upload speeds.

I randomly run it around town/around Orange County NY?.One thing to remember is if you are on Wifi then your test will traverse the wifi connection?This is not what I really want to test?.I would simply like to test 3G performance on AT&T?s 3G?s and on Verizon?s 3G network.

Below are my tests on AT&T?s 3G network in and around Orange county NY

AT&T Feb 5th Download avg 2.1meg/Upload avg 621k

AT&T Jan 30 Download avg 1.8meg/Upload avg 400k

AT&T Jan 21st Download avg 3,4meg/Uploadavg 655k

Test away please?Thanks

Last edited:
Reactions: rsd36

rsd36

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site
Yes!!! Inquiring minds want to know! Please lets rock the house. We need to really post this on the Geneal iphone forum so there can be a solid comparison between ATT an Big V. Great idea TF!

Darth-gamer

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Engadget did a similar test where they ran around different locations in California with an AT&T and Verizon iPhone and the Verizon iPhone won all but 2 of the (I believe) 16 tests. Not bad. :D

rknowlt

Feb 27, 2009
Visit site
Well that wouldn't really be a test of the phone, that would be a test of the network...which can already be preformed.

There is no singular way of testing either the phone itself or the network, so I do not know what you are getting at with this? Hardware wise it should be the same either way other than the GSM/CDMA chips in them though making it primarily a network test. No matter what we do the stats won't be "statistically significant" but they will be interesting. When I get my 4 back I will definetely put some numbers up from upstate NY.

dcsr23#IM

Jan 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't really think we need to start any network fanboy test. It's pretty much proven that AT&T 3g speed is better than Verizons, it just doesn't seem to be as consistent as Verizons. Although we think we are comparing Apples to Apples (pun intended :D) it's really Apples to Oranges since the networks are inherently different and the cellular networks are not at a set standard rate across the country. Just know this, you'll probably be able to stay on the phone a lot longer without dropping a call (assuming you ever do).

tfalsetta#IM

Apr 20, 2009
Visit site
yes...all good comments...We are not really trying to test the IPHONE itself...We are looking to test the Networks....While i agree AT&T's 3G in theory is faster I like to hear feedback from users...

rknowlt...what county upstate are you from...I am from Orange county....We got 3g from AT&T right aroung Thanks Giving and since then the voice performance on AT&T is almost as good as Verizon....Good enough not to switch I should say..

nyc_rock

Sep 19, 2006
Visit site
yes...all good comments...We are not really trying to test the IPHONE itself...We are looking to test the Networks....While i agree AT&T's 3G in theory is faster I like to hear feedback from users...

rknowlt...what county upstate are you from...I am from Orange county....We got 3g from AT&T right aroung Thanks Giving and since then the voice performance on AT&T is almost as good as Verizon....Good enough not to switch I should say..

Ha! I'm in Goshen. What a happy day it was to see the 3G symbol!

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2