No commitment price with 2 year contract required? - Gee, thanks AT&T!
Here's what I get when I check my eligibility for a an ugrade to iPhone 4 via the Apple Store:
32 GB : Black
AT&T Wireless Account
2-year contract required
Upgrade Fee waived:
You may qualify to purchase this iPhone for $499.00 on:
November 28, 2010
I've had my 3GS for a little less than a year so my full upgrade eligibility doesn't come around until Feb 2011. However, this looks like the no-commitment price - with a commitment required. Anyone want to bet that I'll have to agree to the standard ETF fee for a 2 year contract?
I'm on the Nation 200 plan with the $30/mo. data so I figure I still should qualify for the early-upgrade discount of $200, right? Does this make sense?
Last edited by StatCoder; 06-21-2010 at 01:06 PM.
- 06-21-2010, 12:55 PM #2
After a call to Apple, they are saying that the no-commitment price is what you get when it hasn't been a year since your last upgrade. The thing is that everyone due for an upgrade in 2010 gets $400 off right now. I'm due in Feb 2011. I guess I'll have to wait until AT&T decides to push up the upgrade date rather than pay the $250 per month penalty for not having my upgrade date in 2010 (I'm six weeks late).
I'm now just over one year on my 3GS plan. I'm hoping that when AT&T opens up their iPhone 4 order system, I will be at least eligible for an early upgrade price of $200 off the no-committment price. If not, then I'll just have to wait until AT&T decides to push forward the regular upgrade date for the rest of us who aren't eligible in 2010.
- 06-28-2010, 09:45 AM #5iPhone Intermediate
- 208 Posts
Probably shouldn't have got the 3GS then. My view is, every two years, I'll upgrade. Got the 3G, basically same thing as 3GS, minus a couple of things.. i4 has a couple of features 3GS doesn't.. and whenever they release next generation next year, it'll be slightly better than i4, so i can wait for the sixth generation.
I don't have any problem paying $200 more for an early upgrade if I've only had my 3GS for a year. However, I do have a problem paying $400 more than people who bought a first-day 3GS a couple of months earlier than I did, especially, if I have to sign a 2 year contract with an ETF fee in addition to paying the no-committment price ($699 for the 32 GB). Actually, what I really don't want is to pay the no-committment price and then find out that AT&T announces an early upgrade for the rest of us 2 months later for $400 less.
Last edited by StatCoder; 06-28-2010 at 10:09 AM.
- 06-28-2010, 10:09 AM #7
- 06-28-2010, 10:33 AM #8
All I know is that I paid $300 for my upgrade from 3G to 3GS 32GB so I'm surprised to find that my upgrade from 3GS to 4 32GB is going to be $700 until further notice.