Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Default Upgrade date between 06/25 and 12/31

So my wifes upgrade date is 06/27/10 and we all heard from Steve Jobs that upgrade dates will be moved up 6 months. So just to make sure we dont have issue pre-ordering, I called At&t and they said our date would not be moved up. So I went into Apple and asked them. They said unless the upgrade date is 06/24, there would be a $200 surcharge on upgrading. Last, I went into a At&t corporate store and talked to the store manager that I know pretty well. He stated if the upgrade date is 12/31/10 or before that we can get full upgrade discounts on release.

Have any of you had any experiences talking to At&t or Apple and if so, what are they telling you?
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Does your wife have an iPhone? Current iPhone contracts had their upgrade dates moved. Non-iPhone contracts did not. My girlfriend has a July 16th upgrade date, and is going to attempt to call AT&T to get it moved back a month.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    Does your wife have an iPhone? Current iPhone contracts had their upgrade dates moved. Non-iPhone contracts did not. My girlfriend has a July 16th upgrade date, and is going to attempt to call AT&T to get it moved back a month.

yes a 3GS and before that was a 3G. This will be her 3rd consecutive iPhone
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

When did she purchase her 3GS?
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by big9erfan View Post
    When did she purchase her 3GS?
    Maybe a week after release last June
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Makes no sense why she shouldn't have an upgrade date later than the 24th. I would call AT&T customer service and speak with several managers until this is resolved.
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Garz View Post
    So my wifes upgrade date is 06/27/10 and we all heard from Steve Jobs that upgrade dates will be moved up 6 months. So just to make sure we dont have issue pre-ordering, I called At&t and they said our date would not be moved up. So I went into Apple and asked them. They said unless the upgrade date is 06/24, there would be a $200 surcharge on upgrading. Last, I went into a At&t corporate store and talked to the store manager that I know pretty well. He stated if the upgrade date is 12/31/10 or before that we can get full upgrade discounts on release.

Have any of you had any experiences talking to At&t or Apple and if so, what are they telling you?
    All I know is that my GF and I are getting screwed by ATT. We got our 3GS's in Dec and will have to pay 399.99 for the 16 gig iPhone 4. Sucks but I think I am going to have to break down and spend the money
    @SinCityMac on twitter
    Hardware: iPhone 4S 16gig black
    Macbook Pro
    iPad Mini 16gig wi-fi
    iPhone Elite

Global Posts
    2,485 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by iquinn View Post
    All I know is that my GF and I are getting screwed by ATT. We got our 3GS's in Dec and will have to pay 399.99 for the 16 gig iPhone 4. Sucks but I think I am going to have to break down and spend the money
    You got it 6 months after it came out. You're not really getting screwed, sorry to say it, but you screwed yourself by waiting until December to buy it :P
     iPhone 4 32GB
     MacBook Air 13.3" (May 2011)
     iPad 2 16GB
  9. Thread AuthorThread Author   #9  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by iquinn View Post

You only had the phones 6 months. In no way your getting screwed. Your still getting it $200 per phone cheaper than retail. Sound pretty good to me
    iMore Newbie

I bought mine in October and I'm getting the $199 price.
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stlcheer View Post
    I bought mine in October and I'm getting the $199 price.
    interesting...i got mine at the same time and i still have to wait til March 2011 or early upgrade. Bummer

Quote Originally Posted by iD is me View Post
    interesting...i got mine at the same time and i still have to wait til March 2011 or early upgrade. Bummer
    It all depends on your monthly bill. If your bill is $100 or more before tax than you can upgrade 12 months from your purchase date. If it's less than that, depending on how much you spend, it's between 12 - 18 months.
    [ JUSTIN ]
    [ FOLLOW JUST ME ON TWITTER FOR RANDOM AND TECH RELATED STUFF ] [ @justin_horn ]
    [ FOLLOW MY BLOG WHEN WILL APPLE ON TWITTER ] [ @whenwillapple ]
    iMore Newbie

Yeah I pay $130 per month so that might be why I can get it.
    iMore Newbie

I got my 3Gs on release day and am not eligible for the upgrade until 2/20/2011. I guess it's because I am the 2nd line on the account?? Maybe that's your situation. Is your wife is the second line on the account?
  15. Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    13,096 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by scoremann View Post
    I got my 3Gs on release day and am not eligible for the upgrade until 2/20/2011. I guess it's because I am the 2nd line on the account?? Maybe that's your situation. Is your wife is the second line on the account?
    2nd lines are usually every 20 months for upgrade